Chapter 15

The hours dragged on. One ran into the next; then, eventually, that one became another. Emily tried to help in any way she could. Mostly she encouraged Kim, Alex, and I to do anything other than sit in an unnerving silence.

“Let's watch 80s movies,” I suggested, attempting to make the most out of today.

“We haven't had a movie marathon in a while,” Alex said, shrugging. His eyes were barely concealing his anxiety, a feeling reciprocated by all of us.

As we headed into the living room to get settled in, I heard Em's phone ringing like crazy.

“Hello,” she said. “Yeah, bring her down. Well watch her for a while if you need us too.” “Stop, Mel.” “No, my niece really isn't an imposition on any of us.”

I smiled at the thought of Claire. She's kind of like the glue that holds all us siblings together sometimes.

“Hey, Earth to Destiny,” Kim said, waving the DVD cases in front of my face.

“Hmm, oh, sorry I was lost in thought,” I said, looking at the ground. It was a habit I'd picked up with Kyle because he hated that I get lost in thought so easily.

“You're fine. Don't apologise like you did something wrong,” she said. I looked up and saw her smiling at me from her seat on the other end of the couch.

“I'm working on it,” I said shyly. “What were you asking?”

“What should we watch first?” She asked holding up The Breakfast Club, The Outsiders, and Dirty Dancing.

“Definitely The Breakfast Club,” I said. She put the movie in before throwing a soft fuzzy blanket over me. I snuggled into it as Alex joined Kim and I on the one couch.

As the end credits began playing, I heard a car pull up outside and immediately tensed. I was hoping it wasn't Sam bringing news that someone was hurt. I heard my sister's voice, then that of my other sister, and finally that of my niece.

“Dessy,” Claire yelled as Em walked in with the two year old in her arms.

“Claire Bear,” I said, walking over to her and taking her from Em. I knew Emily was watching me carefully as I walked back to the couch, but I didn't think anything of it. I knew they just didn't want me to fall with Claire in my arms, but I've had the prosthetic leg for eleven years. I think I can handle it.

“What next?” Kim asked.

“Dirty Dancing,” Alex and I said at the same time.

She started the movie, so I sat down on the couch with Claire in my arms. She has the typical Makah hair, even for only being two. She has more hair than I've seen on just about any two year old.

“He's cute,” Claire said, clear as day as Patrick Swayze made his first appearance.

“You're definitely Melody's daughter,” I said while laughing. Alex started laughing too.

“Momma's daughter,” she said happily. I smiled at the small girl on my lap and went back to watching the movie.

“Kids, dinner,” Emily yelled. I hadn't realized it's been that long. I got up and let Claire run out to the kitchen as Kim paused the movie.

“Look, all I'm saying is that, if I were born in the 80s and an actresses, I would've definitely banged P Swayze,” I said defensively as we ate dinner.

“You're a minority. You couldn't have been an actress,” Kim said, smiling at me.

“Yeah, but he's hot enough to bang,” Alex said.

“He really is though,” I said.

“No, I'm going for Rob Lowe,” Kim said. I heard one of the guys wolf whistle. It sounded weird and immediately, Emily went rigid.

“Hey, Jake's hurt.”