Chapter 56

"Paul, I'm going to set up a morphine drip to get you through the night. I'll be back in the morning to check on you," Carlisle said, grabbing an IV type setup from his bag.

"Thank you, Carlisle," Paul said softly.

"You're welcome," Carlisle responded as he grabbed Paul's hand and found a vein in the back of it.

"Destiny, I know tonight is going to be hard on you," Carlisle said. "But, you're not going to be able to sleep in the same bed as him for a few nights. He's on total bed rest. Liquid only diet. He can have soup, milkshakes, smoothies, that sort of stuff. No solid food yet. He's going to be in a lot of pain all night, and hopefully the morphine drip will allow him to sleep. It's critical that you keep everyone out of here until morning. Sam is the only one allowed in here tonight. I'm sorry, but it's for the best."

I nodded in understanding, standing up and grabbing my crutches as Carlisle finished up. I made my way into the hallway ahead of Carlisle and Sam.

"Carlisle, thank you. I truly appreciate everything you did for him. If there's anyway I can repay you," I said.

"You'd make an amazing nurse. Maybe look into it," he said.

"Of course," I said. "Thank you, again."

"You're welcome, Destiny," he said. I allowed Sam and Carlisle to head down the stairs in front of me, even though they were moving just as slow as I do.

Sam opened the front door, leading Carlisle and I onto the porch. It was pitch black, the only light in the area was provided by the moon and the dim light on the front porch.

"How is he?" Collin asked.

"He's going to be fine in a few days. I'll be back in the morning to check on him," Carlisle said.

As he went to walk by the elders, Sue stopped him. "Thank you," she said politely. He shook each of their hands before getting into his black SUV and leaving.

"Sam, have you contacted his parents?" Billy asked.

"No sir. I refuse to after the way they treated Destiny and Paul on Christmas," Sam said.

"They're still his parents," Sue said softly.

"Boys, go home. Get some sleep. Be back at, what time is it?" Sam asked.

"Nearing midnight," Emily said.

"Be back by nine," Sam said. He looked at Jared before adding, "all of you." They all took off for their respective houses.

"Back on topic," Billy said.

"They threatened to beat Destiny. He hit Paul, and they threatened to get us all kicked out of the tribe. Not to mention Amanda threw Destiny into a wall," Sam said.

"Sam, stop. It isn't worth it," I said.

"Thank you, Destiny," Billy said.

"Um, what do you propose we tell them should we contact them?" I asked. "Because they already think I am reckless and tried to kill myself and might possibly harm their son."

"Paul's father was in the pack. He fell in love with Amanda, but never imprinted. He decided that he'd been in the pack long enough and he'd never find her, so he quit phasing and settled down with Amanda," Billy said.

"If you really think it's necessary, go ahead and call them yourself," I said. "I personally would prefer you didn't because they've never been nice to Paul, but you are all capable adults. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to bed."

"In the guest room," Sam said.

"Yes sir," I responded before heading inside and up to the guest room. The bed was made perfectly, most likely because Emily spent all day cleaning while the rest of us laid around, trying to sleep through the worry.

I curled up under the blankets, missing the security of Paul's arms. It took me forever to fall asleep, and even once I did fall asleep, it was restless and did not distract me from my anxiety at all.