Chapter 69

"It's Paul," Sam said and my whole world froze.

Sam moved out of the way and sure enough, Paul was sitting up against a tree trunk, holding his left arm to his body with his eyes closed and his jaw clenched in pain.

"What the hell?" I asked, taking in Paul's arm that was bending at a weird angle.

"His shoulder is out of socket and I have to reset it soon. Talk to him please so he doesn't phase and hurt himself worse," Sam said. "Once it's back in place you can kick his ass for all I care."

"Paul, babe," I said, walking over so I was standing in front of where Sam had him sitting on the ground. I sat down in front of him and grabbed the hand of the arm that was still in place.

"I love you Destiny," he said, gritting his teeth as Sam grabbed his shoulder.

"I love you too Paul," I said. I kissed the back of his hand gently before continuing. "I, uh, I don't really know what I'm supposed to be saying here, but I do love you. A lot. Even when you do dumb things like be a hero. I still lo-."

I was abruptly cut off by Paul's screams. I flinched in pain, pulling my eyes away from his face. I couldn't stand to see him in so much pain. His face contorted in pain and I had to look away so I didn't start crying.

His frame relaxed, telling me that at most, the pain had become an ache. Seeing him relax took all my worry and replaced it with anger.

"You have three seconds to explain what the hell happened or I might take Sam up on his offer of kicking your ass," I said.

"I tried to be a hero again. Maybe I should stop," he said.

"You don't think," I said sarcastically.

"Why're you so angry Destiny? Literally I just saved Embry's life," Paul said.

"You what?" I asked. "I'm going to rip his pretty little head from his shoulders."

Paul wrapped his arms around me loosely, his supernatural healing making it so he could use his arm already. "Calm down feisty one."

"Why'd you save his life? No more risking your life to save anyone's else's. Your more important to me than anyone else," I said.

"Even Alex?" He asked. I stood, staring at him for a second, not knowing what to say.

"It's okay baby girl. I get it," he said. "I saved Embry because I didn't want to see you going through what Alex losing Embry would've put you through."

"You risked your life so I didn't have to watch my brother lose his love?" I asked. He nodded in response.

"You're an idiot. What would've happened if I had lost you?" I asked.

"I knew I could take that leech down," he said cockily.

"Well isn't someone Mr. Arrogance today," I said.

"Well, you're being Miss Feisty Pants so don't even start with me," he said. I rolled my eyes but kissed his lips.

"Um, Paul can I talk to you?" Alex asked, interrupting our kiss.

"Yeah, man. What's up?" Paul answered.

"Thank you for saving Embry's life. I, uh, I know you risked yours so thanks. It means a lot to me," Alex said.

"Of course. Just please remind him not to be an idiot next time," Paul said.

"I will," Alex said before taking off inside.

"I love you Paul," I said, kissing his cheek gently.

"I love you too Destiny," he said.