Chapter 46

Three hours later, I had showered, gotten dressed in a new outfit, and ate breakfast. I was sitting in front of my vanity, attempting to get ready when Paul walked in.

"Hey, beautiful," he said.

"Hi, Paul," I said.

"Why are you wearing makeup?" He asked.

"First impressions are everything babe," I said.

"I guess I just don't get it. I mean my dad will probably be too drunk to remember you anyways and we'll end up here eating leftovers at eight tonight," he said.

"Why are we even going then?" I asked, trying to stay calm. If he was so sure it wouldn't end well then there was no reason we should be going.

"We've gotta talk," he said, sitting down on my bed and motioning for me to join him. I did so with a smile on my face, hoping everything would be okay.

"Because I want my dad back," he said. "I want things to be the way that they were before my whore of a mother left town. I miss it. The family dinners and the stories and all of it. I just want a piece of my childhood back. Ya know?"

"I know babe. I wish that all the time. My parents are gone. I'll never have the chance to say goodbye and that's hell on me. I'd give anything for one more family dinner, for one more holiday, for one more hug and 'I love you.' So, yeah, I think it's great that you're trying to reconnect with your father, but I really don't want you to go through with this if it's just gonna make things worse on you," I said, reaching the brink of tears. I wiped at my eyes quickly so he wouldn't see how sad I was. This was about him, not me.

"Babe, I have to do this. Even if it hurts me. I need him to know the hell he's been putting me through for the past five years. He needs to know that I grew up too fast and it's all his fault. He needs to know that if Sam and his mother hadn't found me, I'd probably have died because I didn't know how to cook. He needs to know what it's been like for me since mom left and I need you there to keep me calm so I don't let all my anger out and kill him," Paul said. I grabbed his hand gently, holding it to help him remain calm. I kissed his cheek gently as he began to cry slightly. He laid his head on my shoulder and I held him in my arms as he began to sob.

"I love you Paul," I said softly as his sobs finally died down.

"I love you too Destiny," he said. He sat up and looked at me before continuing. "My dad has only met one other girl of mine, but she wasn't my girlfriend. She was just some girl I was sleeping with that didn't want a label so she could sleep with other guys too. Anyways, he called her some pretty nasty things, and I just want you to know that you're the most amazing girl in the world, and he's probably going to say some really mean things. You can not take it to heart. He feeds off of that Destiny. You've gotta stay strong and remember how truly amazing you are."

"I will Paul, but only for you," I said. He rolled his eyes before kissing me gently.

I was dreading this dinner more than ever, but I wanted to do this for Paul. He needed to do this to heal, so I needed to be there for him no matter what.