Chapter 37

Paul's POV (Just for the duration of Destiny's surgery):

After they'd taken Destiny away, they took us into a private waiting area for families of surgery patients. The room was small, but it seemed almost relaxing.

I paced across the room nervously. I made it only three steps in one direction before hitting a wall and having to turn around. My entire world was being operated on, and if one of those doctor's messed something up there was nothing I'd be able to do. I fidgeted with the bracelet that Destiny had gotten for me a while ago and continued to pace.

Sam was sitting in one of the chairs in the room with Emily curled up on his lap. The two were talking quietly, attempting to keep each other calm. Alex was typing away quietly on his phone. Thankfully he didn't have long nails or I probably would've smashed his phone or something. The sound of long nails clicking away on phone screens drives me crazy.

"Paul, you need to sit down," Sam said. He wasn't ordering me, at least not yet. I refused, shaking my head slightly. I stopped pacing and leaned against the wall, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Paul, calm down. Dr. Adams is amazing. She did Destiny's last surgery too," Alex said in attempt to reassure me. I didn't believe him though.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted to. I wanted to believe Destiny would be okay with every fiber in me, but there's always that part of me, the sensible part, that tells me not to get my hopes up.

"Thanks Alex," I said, my voice sounding rougher than usual because of anxiety.

"Paul, I mean it," Alex said.

"I know Alex, and I really do appreciate it, but I just can't believe it until I see her again. How would you feel if Embry was having surgery?" I asked softly, not wanting to seem rude. Alex is a great kid, and I really don't want to anger him or his sister.

"I'd be a nervous wreck too, Paul. It's not just you," Alex said.

"My point exactly," I said. I gave in and sat down in one of the empty chairs in the room.

I closed my eyes, hoping sleep would over take me and allow me some relief from my feelings. Of course, my anxiety had only managed to intensify my already supernatural hearing. I heard every single noise from all of the hospital, and it made it impossible to sleep.

I think that's why I enjoy sleeping beside Destiny. Being able to hold her in my arms, calming down via the imprint bond as bare slivers of skin meet. Laying beside her and breathing in the unique smell of lavender and rain that, at least to me, was never dulled by any amount of oddly scented toletries.

The clock on the wall ticked by slowly. It all seemed animated to me, like a movie. They always seem to make these scenes the same way and I didn't understand it until now. The only thing you can do while time is ticking by is worry. You can get up and stretch and move, but it all comes back to you worrying.

The surgery felt like it took days, though it was truly mere hours. I heard footsteps moving towards the door but thought nothing of it until the door actually opened, revealing Dr. Adams.

I immediately jumped to my feet and walked over to her, taking only two steps to reach her.

"Destiny made it through the surgery. She's up in her room. She should be walking up any minute now. I can take you up to see her," Dr. Adams said.

I breathed an actual breath for the first time since they wheeled Destiny off to her surgery. I eagerly waited for Dr. Adams to lead the way back up to Destiny's room.