Chapter 47

"Paul, Destiny, time for family gift exchange," Sam yelled.

"Yes, sir," I yelled back, trying to sound stern, but all it did was cause both Paul and I to begin laughing.

"Oh can it and get down here," Sam yelled but I could tell he was laughing.

"Let's go," Paul said.

"Carry me?" I asked dramatically.

"It'd be an honor," he said, equally dramatically. He picked me up bridal style and carried me and my crutches downstairs. Sam and Emily rolled their eyes at us as Paul sat down on the couch with me in his lap.

"You two are ridiculous," Emily said.

"Oh, but you love us," Paul said.

"I do, unfortunately," she responded.

"Alright, present time," Alex said.

"Where's Embry?" I asked.

"With his Momma," Alex said. "I'm heading over there after dinner. His mom was insistent that we spend some time together today."

"Shut up," Claire said, throwing a stuffed animal at Alex.

"Claire," Emily scolded.

"Sorry, Uncle Alex," she said.

"Apology accepted, but don't do it again," he said.

"You sound so scripted," I said. "And yet I'm letting you act in my production of R and J."

"Um, our production," he said.

"Mine, ours, whatever," I said.

"Get along children. Here are your presents from Sam and I," Emily said, handing the five of us each a gift. We all opened them, each of us receiving something different.

"Thanks Em," I said, knowing Sam didn't pick out the new curling iron that was going to replace the one I'd had for five years.

"Thanks, Sam," Paul said. He was holding a new pocket knife.

"Anytime," Sam said. "Maybe you could take some time off to go fishing or something."

"That's the real gift. A break from all of you," Paul said.

"Ha ha, Paul, very funny. You just earned yourself some extra patrols," Sam said.

"I won't show up," Paul said.

"You literally live here," Sam said.

"Damn it," Paul said laughing.

"Alright, my turn," Becca said. She handed each of us a package. I opened the small package carefully so I didn't break it.

"Oh my Gosh," I said. There was a small snow globe with a replica of New York in it.

"Thank you so much," I said.

"Of course hon. Maybe someday we can go and you can see the city," she said.

"I'd love that," I said.

"Our turn," Paul said, kissing my cheek.

He placed me on the couch and handed each person a gift that I had wrapped.

"Here babygirl," Paul said. He wrapped a handmade bracelet around my wrist. It had a silver wolf on it that resembled him in his wolf form.

"Thanks babe," I said. "I think your gift is up in my dresser."

"I'll go grab it," Alex said.

"It's in my t-shirt drawer," I said.

"I know," Alex said.

"Oh, yeah, you helped me hide it," I said. Alex took off up the stairs.

"More?" Claire asked happily playing with the stuffed wolf we'd gotten her. 

"More what?" I asked.

"Presents," she said excitedly.

"Claire, come here. That's not what Christmas is about," I said.

"I know. It's about giving, but I like getting," she said. I rolled my eyes as Alex returned. She was her mother's daughter.

"Here ya go Paul," Alex said, handing him the gift.

"Thanks," he said, kissing my cheek.

"You don't even know what it is yet love," I said.

He opened the gift started laughing instantly.

"Really?" He asked.

"It's cute," I said.

"I'm half freaking wolf do I look cute to you?" He asked.

"Always," I said. "And it's so true."

"What?" Sam asked.

"It's a shirt that says 'My death will probably be caused by being sarcastic at the wrong times.'," Paul said.

"You say that like it's not true," Emily said causing us all to begin laughing.

I'd missed this in the last year. The way the holidays bring us together. The family aspect of Christmas. It may have just been our small mismatched family, but it was our family nonetheless.