Chapter 34

"Destiny, come on. We have to leave for your appointment in twenty minutes," Emily yelled. I knew she'd be standing at the bottom of the stairs with her hand on her hip.

"Coming Mama Em," I yelled back, grabbing my phone and hitting the lights as I walked out. I tugged the sleeves of my light blue hoodie farther onto my hands and slid my phone into the pocket of my black sweatpants as I neared the bottom of the stairs. My hair was French braided over one of my shoulders, giving me one less thing to worry about today.

"There you are," Emily said. "I yelled for you twenty minutes ago."

"And, I told you I'd be down in half an hour. Look, I'm here, ten minutes early and everything," I said.

"You are going to be the death of me Destiny Rose," Emily said.

"You love me and you know it," I said.

"I hate it when you're right," she said. I rolled my eyes at her as I sat down to eat breakfast. Paul was finishing up patrol before he could leave with us and Alex had spent the night with Embry, so I sat by myself, listening to the boys that were there talk.

"Sam," Emily said as he entered the house with Paul about five minutes before we had to leave.

"Yes, babe," he answered before peppering her face with kisses. Paul grabbed two muffins and started eating one as he walked over to me.

"Hey hottie," he said, wrapping his arms around me.

"Hey babe," I said, snuggling closer to his chest. He was wearing a white short sleeve shirt and blue jeans with black sneakers.

"Are you ready for today?" He asked.

"Yes, and no," I said. "I'm ready, but I don't want it to be happening."

"I'll be right here, by your side, every step of the way, beautiful," he said, kissing my temple for effect at the end of his statement.

"Thank you Paul. I love you," I said.

"I love you too, Destiny Rose," he said. We stayed there until Emily ushered us out the door as she went over Sam's rules for babysitting Claire.

"Em, he's a big boy. He can handle her," I said.

"She has a point, baby," Sam said, kissing Emily softly as he tried to get her to leave. Paul and I walked down to the truck and got into the small cab. I sat in the middle seat, cuddling into Paul who was in the passenger seat. Eventually, Emily joined us, climbing into the driver's seat and taking off for the hospital.

During the ride, the radio provided the only noise. None of us sung along to the pop songs, too stressed to want to be even slightly cheerful. The songs coming out of the speakers were barely loud enough to be heard. Paul held me the entire ride, refusing to release me from his arms. Emily was nervous, and it was killing me that there was nothing I could do to make her feel better. I was just stressed, and kind of over the whole thing.