Chapter 39

A few days after my surgery, I was allowed to go home. I had to use my wheelchair to get around, and I had to sleep in a hospital bed in the living room. I was dreading it slightly, but I was happy to be heading home. I didn't want to return to school, but, with any luck, Embry, Quil, and Alex would be there for me 100% of the time.

Paul was a nervous wreck. On top of his own anxiety, he had to put up with mine being reciprocated to him via the imprint bond. He had barely let go of me since the surgery, our bond being the only thing that calmed either of us anymore.

It's early September, so on top of everything going on with me the pack now has to worry about Bella and Edward's half blood child. The two were married three weeks ago, and headed to some island for their honeymoon. When they returned, Bella was pregnant and already showing. Jake brought news of Bella's progression and of the fetus that was growing at a minimum of three times the rate of a human child.

The day I got to finally leave the hospital was beyond crazy. Everything with the pack is crazy, but this was worse. Way worse.

"What day is it?" I asked Paul as he walked beside me. The nurse was pushing my wheelchair out of the hospital so we could leave finally.

"Monday," he said.

"Well, yeah, but like date," I responded as the doors opened to reveal Sam and Emily standing by the truck.

"September 11," Paul said.

"Thank you," I said.

"Here you are Destiny," the nurse said.

"Thanks," I mumbled quietly. Sam opened the back door for me as Paul picked me up and placed me in the seat.

The nurse waved to me one last time before turning around and heading inside. I waited patiently as the other three got into the car. I knew Alex had been made to return to school, and my heart reached out to my twin, knowing he'd be stressed for me.

Sam started the car and the hour long drive home began. It was fairly quiet, but the radio hummed softly, keeping it from being silent. Paul sat in the middle seat, putting me between him and the door. His arm was around me, so I had my head on his shoulder.

"Dest, what would you like for dinner?" Emily asked. She was the first one to talk and that took twenty minutes to happen.

"Scalloped potatoes," I said. "With ham."

"That's my girl," Paul said, kissing the top of my head. I blushed deeply at his words as Sam chuckled and Emily laughed.

"Sounds good. Sam, we've gotta stop at the store," she said.

Another round of silence began, only being interrupted when Sam and Emily would murmur amongst themselves. Paul and I were okay with the silence, especially since it was peaceful.

We hadn't felt this calm in weeks, and it worried me that it was beginning all at once like this. I tried not to think about it, but the words "it's just the calm before the storm" rang through my head on repeat. At the time, I didn't know how true those words were, but I do now.