Chapter 51

The day after Christmas was the last day before the impending fight with the Volturri. Emily woke everyone up with cinnamon rolls, pancakes, bacon, and muffins.

"Paul, Destiny, get up and eat. Paul and I have to go round up the younger ones," Sam yelled. Most of the guys were here already, but Sam tends to keep the younger ones home studying.

"Come on babe," I said, kissing Paul's cheek.

"Dest, I just wanna stay here with you," he said.

"Sam needs your help," I said.

"Fine," he groaned. We got out of bed and headed downstairs. Due to the lack of chairs, Paul pulled me into his lap at the table.

"Guys, stop," Quil groaned, looking between Paul and I and Alex and Embry.

"Aw, poor Quil can't get any," Embry said.

"Em, lay off," Alex said. "It's not his fault he imprinted on a child."

"And this conversation ends now. Brady and Collin will be here shortly and all of this needs to end before they get here," Sam said.

"Alright, we have to get started," Jared said. He was glaring at Alex and I, probably because Kim couldn't be here until later.

I try not to take it personally when other wolves get angry with me because I know that they can't control their feelings toward their imprints. Well, and the fact that none of them can hurt me. No wolf can harm another wolf's imprint; it's their most absolute law.

"Just eat Jared. Then we'll go round up the pups and the ones on patrol and get things started," Sam said. He was sitting at the "head" of the table with Emily in his lap.

"Um, I got Becca to take Claire out to the movies and shopping and what not today. I told her to spend as much time in Port Angeles as she can. After all, she has to leave tomorrow for the Makah rez," Emily said.

"Um, has anyone heard from Melody?" Quil asked.

Emily and I locked eyes before I cleared my throat and spoke up. "Not yet. We've tried to get a hold of her, but she isn't answering. We filed a missing persons report, but Jake said the Cullen who can see the future thinks she should be back soon."

"I, it isn't good for Claire to grow up without a mom so I want her to be okay," Quil said.

"I'm sure it'll all work out how it's supposed to," Emily said. Quil nodded softly, but seemed to still be in pain.

Embry cracked some joke and caused everyone to begin laughing. The mood almost began to feel lighter as everyone joked around, but it didn't last long.

"Babe, I gotta go," Paul said, kissing my cheek gently. I nodded and stood up, holding him for a second.

I kissed his cheek before speaking, "Be safe."

"I always am, babe," he said.

"Stop, but I love you," I said, shoving him slightly before taking his seat.

"I love you too doll," he said. I scrunched my nose slightly at the old fashioned nickname. He chuckled before kissing my nose and leaving with Sam.

That was the last I saw of Paul until he crawled into my bed that night about 11:30.

"Hey babe," he said, kissing my head.

"Hey Paul," I said.

"I'm sorry I disappeared all day, but Sam wanted me to train the pups," he said.

"Don't sweat it. Did you get dinner?" I asked.

"Yeah, thanks," he said.

"Try to get some sleep. Sam said you have to get up at two," I said.

"Yeah, Carlisle wants us at the field by four because he doesn't know when the Volturri will arrive," he said.

"Babe," I said softly after a minute.

"Hmm," he said.

"You called him Carlisle and not Dr. Leech," I said.

"I guess they're growing on me," he said. "Goodnight Destiny. I love you."

"Goodnight Paul. I love you more," I said, cuddling into his chest and falling asleep.