Chapter 23

“Destiny, baby, it's time for lunch,” Paul said, rubbing my arm to wake me.

“Go ahead and eat. I'm gonna sleep some more,” I mumbled, trying to turn away from him.

“No, babe. You need to eat something,” he said.

“What's the point when I'm just gonna die anyways?” I muttered, forgetting he'd hear me.

“Destiny Rose, you are not going to die. This is 100% treatable,” Paul said, pressing his lips to my forehead.

“Paul, maybe the gods are trying to say something,” I said. “It's just my luck to have everything going right and then get news like this.” I looked up at him. His deep brown eyes held nothing but an intense degree of worry.

“Baby,” he said. “You are the toughest, most bad ass chick I know. You're gonna beat cancer again and we're going to do some really stupid and reckless stuff once you're better. Okay?”

“I love you Paul,” I said.

“I love you too, Destiny,” he said. He leaned down to press our lips together. Sam clearing his throat stopped us from kissing.

“Now that you've proclaimed your love for one another, please join us for lunch,” he said.

“Screw off Sam,” Paul said, causing me to giggle.

“Dest,” Sam said after a few moments.

“Yeah?”

“When do you wanna talk about it?” He asked.

“After lunch. Get rid of everyone but Alex and Paul. We can talk about it then,” I said.

“Okay,” he said, nodding slightly before leaving Paul and I alone in my room.

“Let's go get lunch,” I said, standing up and grabbing my crutches. We headed downstairs and Paul took the last seat at the table. He just pulled me into his lap instead of trying to find another chair.

“Hey Em,” Quil said.

“Yeah,” she said, joining us at the table.

“When is Claire coming down again?” He asked.

“I don't know Quil,” Emily said, trying her hardest not to sound stressed out.

“It's fine, don't worry about it. I just,” Quil started rambling off an apology.

“No, Quil. I get the imprint bond. I'll call Mel,” she said.

“Thanks, Em,” he said happily.

After lunch, Sam used an alpha order to get everyone out of earshot of the house.

“Why?” Quil asked.

“Don't ask, just go,” Sam snapped.

“I don't see why I have to leave. I am second in command,” Jared voiced his displeasure.

“Go see your mother. She misses you,” Sam said in response.

“I'm sure she does,” Jared said, rolling his eyes but leaving with the other guys.

“Destiny, what do you wanna do?” Emily asked me once we were all seated at the table.

“I, uh, I don't know,” I said, grabbing Paul's hand that hand found its way onto my right thigh.

“What about chemo?” Paul asked.

“She said it'd cure me,” I said, shrugging.

“Side effects?” Sam asked.

“I'm not really sure,” Emily said.

“I'll Google it,” I said, grabbing my phone.

“Great, we're making decisions about your health based on Google,” Sam said.

“Do you have a better idea?” Emily asked.

“Fatigue, hair loss, bruise more easily,” I read the list off as I ignored them.

“Old Quil is a medicine man. Is that something you've tried?” Sam asked.

“I was 5,” I said.

“Why don't you try it then?” Sam asked.

“We can talk to him,” Emily said.

“I'm willing to try anything,” I said.

“If there's the possibility of it helping Destiny with less side effects than chemo, I'm all for it,” Paul said.

“What do you think, Alex?” Emily asked.

“I want you to get better,” he said, looking at me. “But I don't want to see you go through chemo. That crap can be hell.”

“I know, Xander,” I said, grabbing his hand that was sitting on the table. “I'm gonna be okay.”

“You have to be okay. We've always been the Young Twins, and I don't wanna lose you,” he said.

“You're not going to lose me,” I said. He nodded and an awkward silence fell over the room.

“I'm going to call Old Quil,” Sam said as he stood up from the table.

“I need to get dinner started. If you two wanna go upstairs and talk you can,” Emily said, looking between Paul and I. “And, yes, Alex. You can go get Embry.”