Chapter 1

THEA

Who even was in an arranged marriage these days?

Me. It was me.

I had been in this loveless marriage for 6 months, with the man who hated my gut. Arthur Williams really showed me how much he hated me during our marriage.

The man never touched me, ever. He didn't even talk to me. He didn't acknowledge me in the house, like I didn't exist. The only time he spoke to me was whenever we were in his parents' house or around his colleagues.

I would have never thought that my marriage would turn out like this. Before my parents passed away, they made an arrangement for me to marry their bestfriend's son by the time I reached 22. Why? Because I think they were just bored and decided that it would be great to marry their children.

And I was a coward for saying no to this stupid arrangement.

Though they never told me this but I figured they wanted me to marry Arthur because they knew I had no one else so they-Arthur's parents-wanted to take care of me.

I had no family except my parents. No grandparents, no cousins, no aunts and uncles, no one.

When my father married my mother, none of his family liked my mother. His parents (my grandparents from my father's side) disliked my mother so much and were against my parents' wedding. It got to the point that they disowned my father once my father took my mother to run away and got married. So my mother's family was the only family my father had after that day.

My other grandparents (from my mother's side) sadly passed away when I was 15. My mother only had a brother whom had passed away when he was young. So I no longer had an uncle. My mother's relatives? Not that I know of, I had never met them in my life. My mother never mentioned any of her family except her parents and this one aunt she loved with all her heart but had passed away too years ago. My mother came from a small family, hence why the small relative.

I was lucky that Arthur's parents were so lovely and kind to me. They had been kind to me as long as I remembered, they treated me like I was the daughter they never had. They gladly took care of me after my parents passed away.

Elisa was an obstetrician who was the one helping my mother gave birth of me 22 years ago, and that was the day they became friends. And Michael was a pediatric doctor. Both of them being doctors amazed me.

Arthur himself was not a doctor or any health workers. In fact, he owned a company, inherited by his grandfather, given that Michael was a doctor and couldn't run the company. His grandfather passed away when Arthur was only 16 so by the time he turned 23, he took over the company with the help of a mentor.

It was the only thing I admired him for, he was a hard-working man. He had all the money but never let them get into him.

2 years after my parents passed away, I married Arthur. Our wedding was nothing but awfully awkward. He showed no emotion when I walked down the aisle. He didn't look happy at all. And our first kiss as husband and wife only lasted for 2 seconds. If anyone noticed the awkwardness between us, they didn't show it. It was probably the most depressing wedding I've ever been into, and it was my own wedding.

We didn't even go on a honeymoon trip, we didn't do anything romantic together, we didn't even sleep in the same room. 2 days after our wedding, he went back to work like he was not just married 2 days before. He was busy I rarely saw him in the house. He would leave for work before I woke up and came back when I was already asleep.

Sometimes I felt like he did it on purpose, that he wanted to avoid me.

The only time he couldn't avoid me was when we had to attend events together. Arthur had quite events every once in a while, and every time I would go with him. Being in public with him was awkward, we had to act like we loved each other. Imagine holding hands and kissing the man who hated all your guts.