7

Mikasa spent six more days in Annie's cave. As promised, the blonde had brought some medicine to help her leg heal faster. Correct to the ravenette's claims, it was all natural, such as Yarrow leafs to wrap around her ankle. Annie also brought herbal tea to help warm her up, since on some days the cave would get rather chilly.

It had been over a week and two days, and no search party of Sliver Corps soldiers has been sent to find Mikasa Ackerman.

◇◇◇

"A deal?"

"Between you and I. If you're willing to agree to it, that is."

After Annie changing her leaves several times, Mikasa was back on her feet again. She could walk, but she had a very visible limp and pain sometimes shot through her leg at random. And now the blonde thought it was about time she reunited with her comrades.
Both girls sat across from one another, Mikasa on the bed while Annie was sitting on the floor.

"What kind of deal?" Mikasa questioned, as Annie brought the topic up pretty much out of nowhere.

"A deal to get you back to your Sliver Corps."

"I'm.......listening."

"I can get you just close enough base. As better as your leg is getting, if your travel out there alone there's a risk of hurting it again. I'll get you as close as I can, but you'll have to walk the rest of the way."

Mikasa said nothing. She had been overwhelmed with surprise ever since she first got here, and today was no exception.

"But you'll have to promise me something" Annie continued.

"What?"

"When you get back, don't tell anyone about me, or what happened. Tell them you were came across some human village or something. "

Mikasa nodded. "I get that. Besides, even if I did tell them, they would probably think I'm nuts."

"Indeed they would" Annie replied, before standing up.

"We should get going. Your armor's dry. It'll keep you warm."

Mikasa nodded. She carefully stood up and started putting it on. It was a little rusty due to it being covered in snow, but she managed to get it all on. While she was putting the black cloak over her shoulders, she couldn't help but look over at Annie, who was crouching near the cave's entrance.

Then, the question that at been nagging at her for days finally came out.

"Annie?"

The blonde turned her head. "Yes?"

"Why are you doing this?"

"What do you mean?"

Mikasa raised her arms a little. "I mean, you're taking me back to my base, for Christ's sake! We're supposed to be enemies! Shouldn't you be-"

"I told you why already" Annie interrupted her. "You're different from any other human I've come across. When we met in that forest, you didn't kill me right then and there. You didn't. And, to me....that means something."

Mikasa was speechless. She couldn't find the proper words to say. Perhaps she was wrong all along. Perhaps the whole human race was wrong. Not all Werewolves were the cold blooded killers they were thought out to be.

"Thank you...." she breathed out.

Annie blinked a couple times, as if trying to register what she heard through to her brain.

"What?"

"Thank you, Annie. For saving my life."

For some reason, Annie was filled with emotion. No human has ever looked at her like the way Mikasa was now. A friendly, grateful look. In fact, no one has ever looked at her that way in a long......long time.