55

Mikasa

My eyes slowly opened when a sudden cool draft nipped against my face. I groaned quietly as I sluggishly sat up, rubbing my tired eyes with closed fists. It was dark in the tent, the moon being the only source of light, and even that wasn't enough to illuminate my surroundings. I turned my head and saw the spot where Annie should be was empty. I sigh. She probably couldn't sleep. I mean, after everything she talked about earlier today, I wouldn't be able to sleep either.

After Annie told me what she had planned to do, I didn't respond. Her words had thrown me off guard, to say the least. I was going to say something back but I got cut off by one of the medics, telling Annie that her wound needs to be checked out. She reluctantly agreed, following the medic without saying another word to me. She practically avoided me for the rest of the day until we went off to bed.

I sat up, glancing over at the tent's entrance, which was partly left open. I got to my feet, quickly put on my winter coat and walked outside. The night sky was completely clear tonight, the full moon and bright stars shining against the blue-black sky. I looked over and saw Annie sitting on a log, looking up at the midnight sky. I didn't even hesitate to walk over to her, placing myself beside her on the log. She didn't even look my way.

"Did you have a nightmare?" I asked carefully, lowering my voice a little. I saw that Annie fingers were tapping against her leg.

"No" she shook her head. "Just.....thinking about too much, I guess."

I furrow my brows. "I should've answered you, earlier. I was just......really surprised" Really surprised was an understatement though.

Annie was quiet for a minute, then I heard her sigh. "I know. I'm sorry I avoided you today. I just....didn't know what else to say to you, you know?"

"Yeah. I get it."

We were quiet for a few minutes, both of us looking up at the night sky but not at each other.

"Is it stupid?"

I finally turned to look at her. "What?"

"My idea. Is it really that stupid? Because....I won't get offended if you say it is."

"Annie, I-" my words caught in my throat. "I'm....I'm not really sure what this idea is. How it'll go or end, I have no idea. I'm....not sure what to feel" I spoke honestly. It was the truth; I had no idea how to feel towards this.

Annie was silent for a moment, her face filled with so many different emotions that I couldn't tell how she was feeling.

"I'm the only one who can challenge her" she said, her voice low. "I'm the only family she has left, and only a family member can challenge the chieftain. I know I have to do this.....but..."

I heard her voice crack, causing me to move closer to her. Her eyes were filled with what I could only describe as fear.

".....I'm scared, Mikasa. I always act like I'm not afraid of her but......" she swallowed hard. "....... I'm terrified."

My breath got caught in my throat. Seeing Annie afraid was always so off-putting. It always catches me off guard, filling me with a deep sense of concern and sometimes even fear. She rarely gets scared, but when she does.....it sometimes scares me too. I instantly take ahold of her hands, giving them a gentle reassuring squeeze to let her know that I'm still here. That she's not alone.