41

Using what supplies they had brought with them, the Sliver Corps set up small tents and sleeping bags near a cave in the Western Territories. Kobar had agreed to let them hunt for food, which was mostly deer and some small foxes. The soldiers all sat bunched together, defeat and hopelessness clearly evident on their faces. The Dragons were the only hope they had to win the war, but since they refused to help, they would have to think of something else. Erwin Smith sat in his own tent, trying to do just that.

Meanwhile, Annie was pacing back and forth along the long grass, her hand on her chin deep in thought. And as if right now, the Dragons not helping them was her second concern. The only thing on her mind now was Kobar's last words to her.

"My, my, you really are clueless aren't you?"

What the hell did he mean by that? she thought for about the thousandth time in the last twenty minutes. Elvira is a Mindwalker. She's my mom's sister. Why...wouldn't she be?

"You okay, Ann?"

Ymir walked up to her blonde friend. She had noticed the troubled look on her face earlier, and seeing her pace back and forth by herself was proof of that.

"Oh, Ymir" Annie looked back at the brunette, surprised to see her. "Yeah, I'm okay..just...."

"Thinking?"

Annie nodded.

"Don't let that overgrown gecko get the better of you" Ymir gave her a friendly pat on the shoulder.
"It was probably just some Dragon mumbo jumbo. If I were you I'd just ignore it."

Annie nodded slowly. "Yeah.....You're probably right. I bet he was just screwing around with me."

"Most likely" the freckled teen flashed her a grin. "Anyway, Historia told me to tell you that there's some moose if you want a snack."

"Okay.....thanks Ymir."

"No prob Bob" she gave her a thumbs up before walking back to camp, leaving Annie alone again.

At least, she thought she was alone.

"Interesting friend you have there" a low voice chuckled, causing the blonde to freeze in her tracks. "Let me guess; she's not the 'lady-like' type."

Annie swiftly turned around, only to be greeted by Kobar, who was laying across the knee-length grass. She was surprised she hadn't even heard him.

"What do you want?" she growled at him. The large Dragon wasn't even fazed by it.

"Nothing really. I was just looking to take a nap in the grass" Kobar looked at her. "You just so happen to be here while I'm doing so."

The blonde balled her fists. She didn't know what it was, but something about this dragon was pissing her off.

"You're welcome to join me if you want" Kobar patted a spot on the ground with his massive scaled claws.

"Why would I-"

"You're troubled by what I said to you earlier. I can tell" Kobar said. "I'm letting you talk with me about it."

Annie stared at the dragon wide eyed. The irritated feeling she had earlier suddenly disappeared. She sighed and walked over next to Kobar.

"What did you mean by that?" she asked immediately. "Is my leader not a Mindwalker?"

"She's not like you, if that's what you're asking" Kobar replied. "She's not who she says she is."

"How?"

"That....I still don't fully know."

Annie scoffed. "Then how do you even know the difference between us in the first place?"