44

It was almost the afternoon by the time Mikasa had woken up. The ravenette's hand searched the opposite side of the bed, searching for the warmth of her girlfriend's hand. Her eyes were furrowed shut, as her hand continued to traveled along the other side of the bed.

"Annie?" Mikasa groaned. Her eyes slowly opening, the ravenette expected to see the blonde still asleep, possibly on the far end to explain why she was out of reach. But she wasn't there. Her side of the bed was cold.

Where is she? Mikasa thought, stretching her arms out. She furrowed her brows in confusion. It wasn't like Annie to leave without her at least knowing where she is. The ravenette stood up and walked outside, only to be greeted by the bright light of the sun. When her eyes adjusting to the sudden brightness, Mikasa walked over to a campfire, where a few other soldiers were munching away on some cooked rabbits for breakfast. Mikasa plucked one from the hanger over the flames, sat on a log, and bit into it. The warm, salty taste filled her mouth, making her whole body warmer.

"About time you got up" the voice of Ymir called from behind her. The brunette plopped down on the log. "The day's half over, y'know" she chuckled.

"Hey Ymir" Mikasa smiled kindly at her. She took another bite out of her breakfast.

"If you're wondering where all the others are, they went out hunting" Ymir said to her. "They'll be back in an hour."

"Ah, okay" Mikasa replied. She furrowed her brows again. "Was Annie with them?"

"No. In fact, I haven't seen her all morning. Have you?"

Mikasa shook her head. "She wasn't in bed when I woke up this morning."

"Hmm" Ymir laid back, her hands under her head. "She's probably out practicing her kicks; she does that from time to time."

"How long does she do it for?"

"About an hour and a half or so" Ymir picked up one of the rabbits cooking over the fire. "She'll probaby be back in time for lunch."

"Oh...okay."

That only reassured her a little. Mikasa didn't know why, but she had a lingering worried feeling deep in her stomach that she couldn't ignore. That feeling you get when you know something bad as happened.

Calm down Mikasa, she growled at herself. You're just overreacting. She's out practicing her kicks. That's all. She'll be back soon....

She held the side of her head, gritting her teeth. Her head was pounding.

Trying to shake it off, the ravenette finished her breakfast and threw the stick into the fire pit. She walked into her tent and quickly got dressed. While she was buttoning up the last of the buttons on her coat, she saw something out of the corner of her eye.

A folded piece of paper on the desk.

One of her brows raised, Mikasa went over to the desk and picked up the folded paper. She opened it up and saw Annie's unmistakable handwriting.

"What is...?" she said, almost breathless. She then began to read:

Dear Mikasa.

By the time you're reading this, you're probably wondering why I wasn't by your side when you woke this morning. I don't blame you; I would be wondering too.

By now I'm probably far, far into the North, with my people. I returned to them. I can't tell you why or how. It would put you in danger. It would put all of you in danger. Please, I'm begging you, don't come looking for me. I can't bare to see you in anymore danger.