7.

Beep beep beep.

I swing my arm over my head to kill my alarm. I actually feel rested for the first time in years. I went to bed at like 8pm last night. After I answered all of Emma's question, I went straight to bed.

I feel okay, I know Grayson won't tell anyone anything. And I have tonight off since my mother is still out of town. Maybe I don't have to unravel my entire being to let someone in slightly. Maybe Grayson and I could just be.

I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth and I decide to curl my sandy blonde hair. I put on enough makeup to cover my black eye and a little extra. I feel like I look good. My eyes don't hold the hope they used to but they hold something new. I'm not sure what it is but I'd like it think it's strength.

I pull on some skinny jeans, a black top and my grey tennis shoes. It's about 8am by the time I'm all ready. I just spray some hair spray on my curls and call it good. I can hear Emma in the kitchen probably eating breakfast.

Today might not be awful. I can just come home and sleep. Sleep is honestly one of my favorites things and I barely get to do it. The days mother is gone and I don't have to work I always just come home, do my homework and go to bed. Sometimes I end up in bed by 6:30. But I honestly have no regrets, well maybe I wish I could do that more.

Sleep is a place of dreams and nightmares but I can never remember my nightmares once I wake up and they never wake me up. It's so much better than being awake and having to actually think about my current life.

"I've just got to grab my shoes and I'm ready." Em calls behind her as she runs passed me on the stairs.

In no time we are walking to school. We just make small talk, nothing as heavy as normal. I enjoy the nice breeze blowing past me in September. The fresh air and slight sun shine on my skin making me feel even more ready for today.

Once we reach the court yard Em runs off as normal. I head to my locker.

Once I reach my locker and switch my books out I decide to go check my hair in the mirror in the bathroom. And make sure my makeup isn't revealing the only secret that matters in my life. I always bring extra concealer and powder just in case any wipes off.

Once I make it to the bathroom I am overwhelmed with the amount of girls in here. It is like every girl in the entire school. I guess it's not worth fighting for mirror space so I'll just head to class.

Before I can some girl, who I don't know calls my name. "Carter Mason." I turn around to find out who is talking. It's some girl applying mascara to her already coated lashes.

"Yes?" How does she know my name?

"You're the girl screwing my ex-boyfriend right?" She doesn't even look at me, she's still applying more mascara honestly just making it really clumpy.

"Umm nope, that's not me." I'm not screwing anyone. Bitch pops the stick of her mascara into the container and turns to me.

"You're Emma's older sister?" She cocks her eyebrow at me, nothing but a smirk on her face.

"That's me." I roll my eyes, I just want to leave now. I don't need some pointless interaction bring down my mood at all.

"Then you are the girl screwing Grayson." She cackles and a wicked look comes over her features. Very unattractive if you ask me.

"Nope." She takes a step closer to me, towering over me. But everyone is taller than me, I'm only 5'1".

"Look, don't play stupid." She snarls, my face scrunches up.  Normally she is probably really pretty with her long brown hair, brown eyes and curvy frame. What I wouldn't give to have my ass back...