31.

We sat in the car in complete and utter silence for probably twenty minutes before Grayson got in.

"Are y'all okay?" I ask as soon as he gets in the car.

"Yeah. They were just worried about you and Emma."

Grayson sets his hand in on my upper thigh and rubs gentle circles with his thumb as he starts to drive away. I close my eyes, still a little spiny from all the alcohol. It was so perfect. Everything was perfect until Emma. Everything was perfect without my family.

Each time the car stops I open my eyes hoping we are at the twin's house. I let out an annoyed breath every time it's a light or stop sign. I hear Grayson silently laugh after the third or fourth time.

Finally we stop outside the twin's house.

"Get the fuck out." Wow that was a lot even for me. "I'm sorry...get out though."

The car door opens and the twins get out without a word. I should definitely be worried they'll say something to someone but I know they won't. They're way too concerned with their popular status at school to get on the bad side of the Grayson and they honestly probably don't care about anything I said.

"Emma get out."

"I'm not letting you leave for the weekend with us like this." Her voice is shaky and my resolve is braking a little.

"We both need time to think and cool off. We can talk Monday."

"No. What if you die in a car crash? I'm not leaving it as a fight." She gains a little more confidence as I can feel a headache growing. I just want to sleep and forget the end of this night even happen.

"Emma. If I die before I get back, never return home. Also know that I love you. Ok?"

"I love you too." She mumbles with her post-crying voice crackling a little.

"Great now, get out. I want to go to bed." I cut her off. I don't have the energy to comfort her right now. It's always about her and tonight was supposed to be about Grayson and I. I should have just gone with Grayson and not agreed to have him drive her and her friends.

"Fine." And with that she finally gets out. I roll my window down. "I love you C." She calls out.

"I love you too Em." And roll my window back up. We sit there in silence watching her walk into the house.

"Carter..."

"Grayson. I'm so sorry."

"Please don't cry anymore." He says wiping a few tears. He reaching across me and opens the glove compartment and grabs out a makeup wipe. I'm honestly not even surprised he has these in his car but it still brings tears to eyes at how thoughtful he is. "Here love."

I start to wipe off my makeup. "So we were supposed to drive 3 hours to go stay at my dad's cabin. Surprise. But if you just want to go to sleep and cuddle we can go to my house. My mom is home but I promise she'll be sleeping and she won't care." A cabin? It really was a special weekend.

"No, I don't want to meet your mom like this." Not in person, half drunk and a complete mess.

"We could go to your house...? No one will be there."

"No! I want to feel safe." The emotions in my voice harder to hold back with the slight spinning in my head.

"And you don't feel safe at your house." He breaths out the realization, emotions thick in his voice.