Options.

Awash in the early morning yellow light which dappled across my apartment from the windows I returned home from a mission

Awash in the early morning yellow light which dappled across my apartment from the windows I returned home from a mission. The warm golden effulgence too much in my weary eyes that had been awake for twenty-four hours straight, blinding me. 

I had become a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, surprisingly, even though I had no real training to be one. Though Nick Fury saw potential in me, and heard about my previous life as a member of the Howling Commandos from Steve, so he allowed it. 

It was a simple mission. Get in, get out, beat up a few guards, hijack an enemy fighter aircraft, and escape, but I found myself lacking the spirit to carry out orders. I didn't know any of the other S.H.I.E.L.D. agents besides Nat, and Clint, and it's not back in the war days. I'm not on Steve's team anymore. It's different, and not as enjoyable as the group I remember being apart of. 

"Good work, Agent Rebecca. I have trust issues, you know, but I do trust Steve's judgement. That, and you can't argue with the facts." I heard Nick pipe up from the earpiece popped into my ear. 

"Thanks, but I am a bit out of practice. Also, I appreciate you allowing me to take a look at his file." I said, staring down, almost apprehensively at the folder in my hands with the S.H.I.E.L.D. insignia stamped on the front. The painful details of Bucky's life printed inside. 

"I haven't even shown the Cap that file yet, so don't lose it." Nick warned. 

"Why did you give it to me first then?" I questioned, turning on the TV, the local News broadcasting softly in the background. 

"Well, let's just say that I think family comes before friendship, and you're his family. Also, we here call agents by their last names. You think you could let me do that?" 

I listened to his words, my heart thumping at the word "family". 

"I'm sorry, Fury, but I'm just going to stick to being "Agent Rebecca"." I replied, and I could hear him sigh through the speakers. 

"You're not as transparent as you may think. People who are in museums usually aren't. You don't want to forget him, right? But, you're also avoiding him." 

"No, I'm not," I retorted. "I don't want to avoid him, I don't want to stop loving him. I want nothing more than to get him out of the hell he's in, but he's lost his memory-" 

Nick cut me off. 

"Okay, I didn't mean to hit a nerve. I can't really imagine what you, and Steve must be going through. I'm just saying, the past is unavoidable." 

"I know." I answered. I knew that all too well since all I am is the past. 

We said our goodbyes, and I peeled out of my S.H.I.E.L.D. uniform, the anchorman's words explaining all the disasters that were going on in the world. Be it from weather, or bullets, he said them all, and I thought about how in no timeline in history was there ever peace.