Loss...

"The heroes all wore black to the funeral, carrying the weight of sorrow and pain at the loss of someone truly special

"The heroes all wore black to the funeral, carrying the weight of sorrow and pain at the loss of someone truly special. Humanity's greatest had gathered together to mourn and to cherish the memories in which they had with him, Tony Stark. The man who was so much more than a suit of armor..." 

"The Fallen had returned, families reunited, loved ones, friends... But, an irrefutable emptiness had afflicted those who grieved. A great light had gone out in the world after all, and the cost of victory was the marking off an end to a true hero.."

..........

Everyone all stood by the waters edge as we said goodbye to a man who did indeed, shine brightly. The lakeside cabin silhouetted by the mid-day sun as the service resumed on. 

Silence rung out above all else, lulling the birds that chirped, the rippling current of the lake and the rustle of leaves. The hushed quiet seeming very loud at this moment as we reflected and sent him off. The sound of subdued sadness a weight that definitely let it's heaviness be known. 

Wearing a black suit I stood beside Bucky and Steve as Pepper walk down the rickety dock, holding tight onto Morgan's small hand. 

She bent down and lowered a funeral wreath into the shimmering surface of the reservoir, Tony's first Arc Reactor at the center surrounded by an arrangement of beautiful flowers and vines. 

And, as the wreath bobbed further away, letting the babbling current be it's guide we all said one last farewell. 

..........

After the service the heroes all seemed to disperse themselves across the vast forest landscape, going to seek solace and a small nook away to be alone. 

And, seated on the porch swing was Happy and Morgan. His arm around her as they lightly swayed back and forth. The best friend of Tony's doing all that he could to try and cheer up the little girl. Not like anything would, but still he was there beside her. Offering his own shoulder for her to cry on. 

Morgan had lost her dad, but gained the world. His sacrifice allowing everyone to live out their days in peace and while I understood why he did it, I couldn't help but remember telling him that Morgan needed her father. 

Turning away from the porch I instead focused on someone else. The love of my life, who was frozen still by the lakes edge. Like a statue, he was rigid and undoubtedly guilt ridden. 

The haunting memory of what he had done to Tony, his parents, still echoing in his mind. Plaguing his thoughts and weighing down his heart.

 And, now... He could never atone for his sins. The sins, that by my account, were not his but instead the Winter Soldier's as I never saw them as the same person. But, Bucky did. Everything the Winter Soldier did, he believed was his fault. His crime to bare and take with him like branded scars forever carved along his soul. 

Strolling over the pine needles and moss I walked up to him and gently traced my fingers down his arm, igniting his attention. 

"He forgave you, you know," I spoke up, his somber blue eyes meeting mine. "We have to live on. The world we know is only here because of him after all." 

Bucky mustered up a small smile as he pulled me close and kissed me deeply, both metal and flesh hand wrapping around the small of my waist. 

"So, finally settle down, Doll?" 

Now, it was my turn to smile as I kissed him back. 

"After this long, it's time. It may be selfish, I don't know, but I think we deserve peace." I told him. 

Bucky brushed his lips against my forehead, breathing me in. Him glad to be back. And, I was glad that we were together again. Maybe for once, the fight really was over. Maybe, Bucky and I could finally be husband and wife before soldiers... 

"When do you want to start, Doll?" Bucky brought up, wanting the simple life so much. 

Keeping a small grin laced across my mouth I kissed him again before reluctantly pulling away. 

"In a minute. There's just one thing I have to do first. But, in the meantime... Here's someone to talk to." I replied, noticing that Steve was headed our way. 

And, while my two Brooklyn boys stood by the body of water, the current lapping against the grass covered bank, I went on inside the cabin. A task needing to be done. 

Within the lumber built lodge I caught a glimpse of Pepper as she hid away in the kitchen. Trays of finger food and pitchers of tea around her. 

She was trying so hard to keep it together, keep from breaking down and I knew exactly what that felt like. What it felt like to build yourself so high, and to plaster an impervious mask on your face. To stay strong for others, and not let anyone see the damage. 

Pepper had a daughter to look out for and be there for and she couldn't afford to have fissures and cracks in her guise. 

From the very beginning Pepper knew of Tony's tendency to never stop. To keep going and going until the end. And, always she had failed at making him quit and now he was gone, just like she had feared would happen. 

Walking over to her, my heels clicking against the wood floor, I saw as she noticed me and immediately Pepper dabbed her wet eyes. 

"Hey, Rebecca... I just came to get some more refreshments for everyone-" 

"Pepper, it's okay. You don't have to pretend around me of all people." I reassured, giving her a tissue. 

As she let some silent tears fall I resumed on with the thing I needed to do and grabbing my bag I pulled out a familiar piece of armor. 

The red and gold helmet in my grasp automatically making Pepper's eyes widen. 

"Here. Tony recorded a message on this before the Time Heist. I managed to keep it safe. Take it." I told her. 

Pepper took the helmet from me and I watched as she kissed the golden Iron Man armor. Holding it tight as a couple of her tears dripped onto the titanium plating. 

"Thank you, Rebecca." 

"If you need anything, Pepper. Just call me. I'll babysit, I'll do anything. Or, if you just need someone to talk to." I said. 

She nodded and weakly smiled over at me. 

"I will, thanks again. Morgan would like having her Aunt around more."