Goodbye Isn't Farewell.

I put a vinyl down through the record players needle, and shifted the cartridge down before music began to emit

I put a vinyl down through the record players needle, and shifted the cartridge down before music began to emit. Soft scratching sounds echoed throughout my apartment before the melody kicked into full gear. First a single note which then progressed into the contralto, soprano, and mezzo-soprano sing-song voices of the Andrew Sisters. A famed trio of women entertainers who I remembered seeing personally when they used to put on shows for the Allied Forces back during World War II. 

They'd visit all across Europe, war zones, hospitals, Marine and Coast Guard bases, and munitions factories.  I saw them once in England while tending to the injured soldiers, and I watched as all the men's heavy hearts got lifted just the slightest little bit by the breath of fresh air their voices brought. 

It was odd, thinking about how all three of them are dead now while I'm not. The life I lived had passed me by in the blink of an eye, and I have a feeling that I'll feel this way a lot. 

Just this feeling of loss. Like when you miss your stop on the bus. I missed mine, I suppose, but I don't regret it. 

I think Steve must of weighed out all of the consequences when he decided to bring me out of the ice, and he must feel responsible for all of the pain I've felt up until now. Though, if I would of stayed in the ice then Bucky would be alive now without me, and I wouldn't want that. Despite everything I'd want to stay here, right now even during the hurt. 

With the Andrew Sisters dulcet harmony playing in the background I packed up my suitcase. Folding up some clothes, and stashing some personal belongings, I checked my phone, making sure I wasn't going to be late for the airport. 

I slid the small framed photo of Bucky's, and my wedding day into the pocket of my suede coat, and slipped his silver dog tags around my neck. 

Going over to my nightstand I pulled out the third item that I had found in my old combat vest that I had carried on me since that day in the snow, and placed it within a pocket of my leather carry-on bag. 

Wheeling my suitcase towards the front door, it's wheels clacking against the wood floor I flicked off the lights, and bid my apartment a silent farewell before leaving in a taxi. 

I headed to the airport, paid the driver, and got out. 

The rumble of dozens of airplanes taking off into the clear blue sky rang in my ears, and just outside of the entrance I saw a muscular feathery blonde with a tender, yet wary visage cast around him like a cloud overcasting the sun. 

I strolled over to him, and we took a seat down onto a nearby bench, his hands laced together, his broad shoulders slumped.

"I don't care what you may think," I started, pulling my suitcase closer. "You're my bestfriend, but he's my husband." 

"I understand," I heard the Captain say, a frown still evident. "He needs you. I think the only way he'll be able to recover is with you beside him." 

I nodded, swallowing a mild pain killer. I had healed completely, all cuts, and bruises gone, the wound in my stomach stitched up, and shoulder almost there, but not quite. 

"I quit being an agent for S.H.I.E.L.D. temporarily, and I don't care if I create enemies because of my choice. I'm going to protect him no matter what as he's always done for me." 

"We'll still see each other?" Steve asked, and I wrapped my arm around him, patting his back. 

"Of course. I'm still the person you can call to remember things with, and thanks to modern technology leaving really isn't leaving anymore." 

"Do you know where he is?" He inquired, his eyes the same shade as the sky. 

"I have an idea, and I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to see the exhibit without you." I answered, and he smiled.

"I understand. You know, I say that a lot when it comes to you." 

I laughed a little. 

"Yeah, well it's your turn to be the patient, and understanding one. I had to be that way with you when you stupidly applied for the Military many times, and got your ass beaten by bullies." 

"Language." Steve teased, arousing more laughs out of me before I got up. 

I hugged him tightly, and kissed his cheek, leaving a rosy mark from my red lipstick. 

"I'll see you around, Steve." 

"Goodbye, Becky. Take good care of him." 

"I will." I reassured before leaving for Washington D.C.