Dream.

"My dream started off sweet, as most dreams do

"My dream started off sweet, as most dreams do. This dream started off on my happiest day..." 

1938. 

Riverside Church.

With views overlooking the Hudson River stood Riverside Church as it towered over everything else. The tallest church in all of the United States who's carillon bells could be heard for miles, and currently the chimes were tolling as it alerted every New Yorker of a wedding being held within it's Neo-Gothic, vaulted walls. A very special day was happening, the marriage of soon to be Mr. and Mrs. Barnes. 

Beyond the prismatic stained glass windows, the sky high tower and stone arches, deep within the Byzantine styled structure sat a woman dressed in white, getting ready for the big day. 

In front of the vanity the bride's gown trailed to the floor in pearly silks and ivory satin's, the gauzy veil pinned into the up-do, not a stray curl in sight. 

The Depression had finally reached it's expiration date, and the economy was recovering after it's lengthy, and fatal stock market crash back in '29. The GDP, and GNP were up again and all seemed to be well. Slowly, but surely the world was recuperating after the lethal ailment in the shape of unemployment. 

And, today, on a quiet Spring day I was marrying the love of my life. The man I met a year ago who, on the first day of meeting him, I just knew was going to be my partner in life. I loved him the moment I laid eyes on him, and he loved me. 

Staring at myself in the mirror I applied some red lipstick and fixed the lace of my gloves, just outside the Hudson shimmering beneath the light of day. The rippling water bending onto itself as it's current kept up a transient pace. 

A smile couldn't seem to leave my lips, not that I minded. I was happy to start this next chapter of my life. 

A knock came from within the hallowed church halls and I quickly said "come in" to who ever it was. The sight of a feathery blonde man soon reflected within the vanity mirror and immediately I turned around to face him. 

Steve wore a tux, the suits jacket slightly ill-fitting as it hung loose in some places over his small frame, but he looked charming nonetheless. His shoes shined, his hair tamed with gel, and I watched as he shoved his hands into his pants. His eyes the color of the sky and he looked at me with such a bittersweet visage. Sad and happy all at once, two competing emotions that left the heart feeling inexorably heavy. 

And, I knew why, but on a day like this I didn't want to bring up the feelings he felt towards me. I didn't need to, as to Steve, if Bucky and I were happy that's all that mattered to him. 

"What do you think?" I spoke up, standing from the upholstered stool and giving my friend a little twirl, my alabaster dress flowing around me like waves in the sea. 

"You look beautiful, Becky. But, then again you always do." Steve commented, and I swiped a white rose from my bouquet and waltzed over to him, noticing a missing element in his ensemble.