04| Protective

I walked trough my front door, glad to be free from this long day of school. Aiden trailed in behind me, snickering about something. That's when it dawned on me: he probably saw my argument in the cafeteria. Dear God, please don't let me have this much bad luck. Dad stood at the stove, making my favourite dish in the Crockpot: potato soup with shredded cheddar cheese.

"Hi dad!" I chirped, kicking off my shoes and placing them on the shoe rack. "I see you've been busy."

"I have been. I went to the grocery store, got your bookshelf reassembled in your room, moved the couch in, put together the table and chairs, got my bed into my room and got that dam shoe rack to finally stand up." He said proudly. "How was school?"

"It was good, I found my classes, I made a few friends." Got into a fight.

"She got a boyfriend too." Aiden added, making me flush with embarrassment.

"No! We're not dating! ...Who are you talking about?" If he was talking about Nate, then he would be wrong, but I couldn't say I hated his guts because we actually get along.

"That Alex guy, of course." Aiden answered slyly. I wanted so badly to slap him across the face, but dad was watching. Dad crossed his arms with a disapproving frown.

"I hate him! He made me spill my coke and waste a whole hamburger!" I yelled my lungs out. Dad raised an eyebrow, gesturing for me to elaborate. "At lunch, he shoved me with his shoulders, causing my coke to explode all over me, and then I got mad and told him he needed to buy me a new lunch. He said he didn't need to, because he was popular-" I made jazz hands to add emphasis to my sarcastic voice. "-and walked away. It's nothing, and I absolutely do not like him, nor would I ever want to date him."

"Well, at least you stood up for yourself." Dad shrugged, then lowered his voice to talk to Aiden, tough I still heard it clearly. "Keep an eye on her."

"Dad, I heard that!" I squealed angrily, stomping a foot. I hate how protective my family is over me, as if I'm some helpless child who will fall head over heels for the worst of men and reject the best ones. That only happens in books. Well... no, their are some girls who do that. But still, I'm not one of them. "Okay, just go do your homework. Both of you." He shooed us off with his hands before turning back to the crockpot. I huffed and ran to my room with my backpack. Aiden raced me and won. Curse you, stubby little legs. I shut the door behind me and plopped onto my makeshift bed.

"Snitches get stitches, you do know that, right?" I said laughing evilly at Aiden. He scoffed and close his closet door, not believing my not-so-subtle threat. I wouldn't actually ever hurt my brothers to a point where they get stitches (on purpose I mean) but, I will mess around with them for absolutely any reasons. It's like April Fools to an extreme, but it's not even April Fools Day. And today, since I'm feeling extra evil and I happen to know that Aiden absolutely love salt on his potato soup and despises pepper on anything, he's going to be in for a little treat.

I waited for a few minutes before sneaking out of the room and into the kitchen. I got lucky that dad was in the bathroom, but still didn't take my time. I emptied out our shakers and refilled them with the opposite of what they were supposed to have, placed them back on the table, and quickly sprinted back to my room.

I hopped back onto my 'bed' and started on my homework with a exasperated sigh. First day of school for me and I already have homework in almost every class.

•••

"Pass me the salt, will you Brook?" Dad asked. I calmly handed him the pepper shaker. Aiden loaded up his potato soup with 'salt' and took a large sip. I stifled a laugh as his face rose with alarm.

"Ah! Dad, you filled the shakes backwards!" He exclaimed, gulping down his glass of water and his eyes widened more. I fell off my seat with laughter. This is what happens when you don't grow up with any women to teach you things like manners: I mean, it's not like I'm a complete brute and eat everything with my bare hands, but I'm much meaner to my brothers than I should be. Dad clicked his tongue and poured Aiden a glass of water.

"I warned you Aiden. Snitches get stitches." I mouthed silently to him, smiling like an angel as I sat myself back down. Dad coughed and gingerly tipped the actual salt on his soup. I shrugged and took a sip of my potato soup, savouring it's amazing taste.

"So, did dad tell you?" Aiden asked, breaking the awkward silence. My body tensed, prepared to repeat the explanation that I gave dad earlier. Can Aiden not just take a hint that I absolutely despise Alex?

"Tell us what?" John asked. I bit the inside of my lips and stomped on Aiden's foot as hard as I could under the table. He held in the yelp that tried to escape.

"That...Brook got into a fight." he said. I looked down. That's not any better, you idiot.

"Brook? Where's the bruises? I thought you hated talking!" Colin exclaimed, leaning over the table to examine my face and arms. I swatted his hands away and sneered at him.

"It wasn't physical fight, I just yelled at the dude." I mumble, talking another sip of my soup. "How was school for you?" I asked John, eager to change the subject.

"Who was this guy?" Colin demanded.

"It's good. Colin, dude, leave Brook alone. As long as she's not hurt, you don't need to get so overly protective." John said. I sighed on relief. John was the more chill, less protective, easier-to-get-along-with brother. I wish I shared a room with him instead of Aiden. Colin rolled his eyes and took a sip of his soup.

"Okay then... Colin, how was your day?" Dad asked finally changing the subject off of me.

"Fine. Talked with a few people, might start looking for a job again soon." he said simply. The funny atmosphere from my prank on Aiden had long since disappeared, upsetting me. I hate being the one they feel obliged to protect. I hate the fact that since I'm a girl, I'm supposed to be weak and dependent on a man to fight for me.

"Hey, knock knock" I said hoping to lighten the mood.

"Who's there?" Everyone asked in unison.

"Britney Spears." I answered.

"Britney Spears who?" Dad answered, my brothers already laughing and knowing what I was going to say.

"Knock knock."

"Who's there?" Has my dad seriously never heard this one before? Or was he just playing alone?

"Oops, I did it again!" My brothers and I all said together, laughing. Mission accomplished.

We continued to crack stupid jokes, the mood lightening from he darkness that Aiden started. I swear, that snitch can ruin the best of moods. But, I managed to ignore that and keep a good mood.

My eyes flickered the paper heart adorned picture frame that held a picture of mom. She wanted me to be a stand up comedian when she was younger. Right now, we're fulfilling her young dream. My heart burst with pride. I wasn't helpless, I wasn't a child-like, I wasn't dependent. I'm just strong as her.

Just like how she would raise me to be.