25| Surprise

A car honked, telling me to hurry up. I ran outside with my full packed duffel bag and bare feet, yelping as I felt the cold concrete nip at my exposed feet. Claire laughed and caught my duffle bags as I threw it to her, stuffing it in the back of Nate's car. We're all carpooling to the resort, and should get there in three hours. After we pick up one other person, a name that Nate won't reveal, of course.

I raced back inside quickly to get my uggs and scarf. My black leggings weren't very thick, but they look nice with my re knit sweater. I quickly slipped on my socks and uggs on, then pulled my fluffy white infinity scarf over my head.

"Okay, see you in a few days dad!" I exclaimed before running out the door again. Nobody was home, but I like to pretend as if they all were. Dad was at work, John and Colin were at a party and Aiden was out with his friends.

"Hurry up, Brook!" Claire called, jumping into the passenger seat in the black Range Rover resembling the Kardashian's one. I opened the car door and sat down, buckling my seat belt. I wonder who is the mystery person that we are going to pick up. What if it's Mikel? I do not have the energy to deal with him for seven straight days, in a tiny, two bedroom cabin with him.

We quickly arrived at our secret guest's house, which I immediately recognized. "What? No, no, no. Is it too late for me to back out?" I asked. Nathaniel looked at me and shook his head with a sly smile. I pouted and crossed my arms, scooting myself closer to the door next to me. He planned this. He knew Alex and I aren't on speaking terms with each other.

Alex ran out with his own bag, bundle up in a plain black jacket and a pair of basketball shorts. How is he wearing that in this weather?! He tossed his bag into the back of the car with an exciting smile, and then he opened the car door. His face went numb as his gaze fell on me. I rolled my eyes and looked out the other window, a pang of guilt slapping me harshly as I did so.

After an awkward moment of silence, I heard the slam of a car door and the sound of a seat belt clicked, so I guess Alex took his seat. Nate coughed awkwardly, before beginning our long drive.

After about thirty minutes of stressful silence, Nate finally spoke up. "So, a whole week away from Maryville and up to the Smokies. I hope it's not just me who's excited."

"I'm pumped!" Claire said, excitedly clapping her hands together several times. Alex mumbled a "Yeah, sure." But said nothing more.

"As long as I don't see a cowboy playing the banjo while skiing, I'll be fine." I said humorously. Claire and Nate laughed, but Alex seemed distant. He was ignoring me again.

"Come on, Alex, lighten up." Nathaniel said exasperatedly. Alex let out a grunt of denial and crossed his arms, but I noticed him sneaking a quick glances at me with his regretful blue eyes.

I pulled out my phone and earbuds to listen to some music as we drove along the busy road. I looked through my Spotify playlist and chose to listen to Ed Sheeran Happier. Holding my phone on my hand, I leaned my head against the car window and closed my eyes to take a nap. My wavy brown hair brushed across my face, blocking out a significant amount of the late afternoon sun.

"A weeklong ski trip, here we come!" Claire announced to get us all riled up.
_______________________________

Here is your daily update. Don't forget to:
Follow
Vote
Comment
"How the hell did you get the tomato soup to explode all over the stove?"

-Alex