19| Unfavorable memories

I sat on my bed and organize the slides on my laptop, ignoring the pain in my arm and back and, well, everywhere else. Rain gentle pelted my window as I worked. Dad decided that i shouldn't return back to school until I've healed, but I also think it's for my mental state. I mean, in the span of about three weeks I've moved, met a total jerk, kissed the jerk (although dad definitely doesn't know about that), been assaulted, and had to deal with my family secret as well. Who wouldn't need some time to regain their footing after that?

I browsed Google for a good picture of St. Mark's Basilica for my slides. If I'm not going to be at school, I might as well be somewhat useful. I sighed and leaned back, closing my eyes. It's not like this is my first time being the victim of bullying; it happened frequently to my old school. I guess I'm just a very punching-bag-looking person.

"Derek, stop." I demanded, pushing his shoulders back like he did to me. It wasn't very effective. All of the eight grade teachers were in a meeting, and I was caught by a circle of kids who found it funny to pick on short kids.

"And what are you going to do?" He challenged. I felt weak and vulnerable, cornered against a wall. I cried out for help whenever this happened, but it never did anything. I was always ignored, invisible. Nobody noticed me unless it was by the people punching me. I got used to it.

"I...I'll" I started, but with nothing to follow, my words faltered. Derek let out a lone laugh and thus began the punching. Not only from him, but from the kids who joined in.

Like I said, I had grown used to it. Not only to the physical beat downs, but the mental ones too. Like how once they decided that I was a waste of effort, Derek would always tell me something along the lines of, "Just go kill yourself, everyone would be a lot happier without you." Or "Are you sure you weren't born on a highway?" He always let me figure out the rest of what he was trying to say for that second one. The cruel thing about it was that he knew about my mom and how she died. I had been stupid enough to trust him to tell him. Stupid, stupid me.

I wiped a stray tear had escaped and shook off the memories. I'm going to defend myself now. I'm not a pushover. I'm a strong, and capable, and... Oh, who am I kidding? I'm obviously just a, as Derek would put it "Weak, stupid, useless human being."

"Don't listen to them, Brook." Maggie, my old best friend, would have told me.

I scoffed. It's pretty hard not to listen to the words you hear repeated to you almost everyday for your whole school life. But Maggie was good at being optimistic and kind. She was like me: Bullied and invisible. But what ca I say, birds of a feather must stick together.
_______________________________

Important:

For those who have been bullied, is to always stay positive and never let your ennemis push you around. Those who doesn't have a voice and if you see someone getting bullied, you must stand by them or at least report to someone, who can handle the situation that it wouldn't end in a tragedy. Bullying is wrong and you know it!
Suicide is not the option, because you make your ennemis win and they will continue if you don't put it to in end!

Hope you enjoy the short little flashback.

Don't forget to vote and follow for updates of new chapters every Wednesday:) (early update)

"How the hell did you get the tomato soup to explode all over the stove?"

-Alex