39| Holiday spirit

Thank you for 10k reads, I never thought that I'll be able to get this much, and I know it's kinda early to write something about Christmas, but I ran out of content

Thank you for 10k reads, I never thought that I'll be able to get this much, and I know it's kinda early to write something about Christmas, but I ran out of content. Sorry. However, hope you still enjoy this chapter! ❤️
_______________________________

"Aiden, I'm going to slap you!" I threatened, holding my hand up in position to keep my promise. My oh so wonderful ski trip is over, and my ankle has healed somehow, but only a little. Not much can heal the short time span of four days.

Aiden snickered and held my phone higher, out of my reach. I don't want him to see my texts from Alex, but I'm way too short to grab my phone. Desperately, I kneed him where the sun doesn't shine. He dropped the phone and crumpled to the floor, holding the injury. I smiled in victory and plucked my phone off of the floor, humming cheerfully as I closed out my conversation with Alex.

"Told you, you bastard." I said victoriously, stepping over him and walking out of the bedroom and into the living room. It was decorated with spring of popcorn and cranberries, our Christmas tree standing in the corner of the living room next to a frosted window. John backed up from the tree after putting the star on top of it.

Instrumental Christmas music played in the background, coming from dad's speaker, hooked to his phone.

I limped into the kitchen, where Colin was busy baking our traditional sugar cookies. He slid a sheet of cookie dough into the oven and started making the frosting. A smile painted itself onto my lips.

My phone buzzed in my back pocket, and I turned it on. It was a new text from Alex.

Alex H: only 3 more days! Why won't you tell me what u got me?

Brooklyn H: Because then it isn't a surprise, duh!

I bit my lip. How was I supposed to get Alex and I in the same household without my brothers either catching on and beating him up or his mother catching on and getting super excited and announcing it to everyone? Another buzz in my hand.

Alex H: Fine... How are we even going to exchange presents?

It's like he read my mind. I sighed and plopped myself on to the couch to continue our conversation without someone reading over my shoulder.

Brooklyn H: Maybe we could meet @ some place like the park after everyone's asleep?

Alex H: I really don't want u to be walking in the cold with your ankle still healing.

Brooklyn H: Well then what are we going 2 do? School won't be starting until Jan. And I can't wait that long.

Alex H: How about this: u invite Claire over for Christmas Eve and she can 'drag' Nate and I along with her?

Brooklyn H: I'll have to ask both of them, but it sounds like an excusable plan.

"Who are you texting?" Colin asked, sitting down next to me. Panicked, I switched to my conversation with Claire.

"Oh, j-just Claire." I answered as smoothly as I could. "Are the cookies read to frost?" I asked him, hoping to change the subject. He nodded.

"One batch just cooled down, the others are still in the oven. Do you want to help?" He said, I jumped up, wincing at the pressure I'd put on my ankle, and started walking towards the kitchen.

"Of course I do!"

Colin helped me to the counter top where the different colored frosting were laid out, I un frosted cookies sitting on our snowman shaped cooling rack. I grabbed a tree shaped cookie and placed it on a paper plate, then dipped a spoon into the green frosting and spread it out on the cookie. I bit my tongue to keep myself from trying to eat it.

Dad walked into the kitchen with a Santa hat on his head and a huge smile on his face as he showed us an old picture. It was him as a teen, kissing mom's cheek underneath the mistletoe that held above them. I smiled at ho cute they looked together.

"And this is the frame for it." Dad said, pulling out a wooden frame that was decorated with snowman and snowflakes stickers, all with a few foam Christmas tree stickers.

"That is so cute!" I gushed, my heart swelling with admiration of their teenage relationship.

"We should try to get Alex underneath the mistletoe with us." Grace said mischievously. I laughed to myself as I continued frosting the cookies. Dad placed the picture in its frame and put it on the fireplace mantel, so it overlooked the Christmas tree. I looked at our stockings, which were always arranged in this order: Ben, Colin, John, Aiden, Brook and Meg.

I felt something cold and sticky on my cheek and turned to look at Colin, who was wearing a smug smile and holding a spoon with blue frosting on it. Touching my cheek, I brought my fingers back to see blue frosting on my fingertips.

"Oh, it's on." I announced as I scooped up a spoon of red frosting and slathered it in his hair.

John and Aiden quickly joined in while dad tried to pull us all apart.

Key word: Tried.

"Merry Christmas!" I yelled at Aiden as I smeared some green frosting across his face. He laughed and returned the favor by getting some blue frosting in my hair.

This is normal holiday behavior in our house: Laughter, baking, decoration, music and plenty of friendly frosting war.

"It's all fun and games until we have to clean up." John warned as he was tackling Colin. I giggled, knowing that his warning was super true.
_______________________________

Don't forget to follow and vote! 😉