Chapter Four: Under the Bed

"How much do you know about yourself then?"

"Me?" I thought for a moment at Jack's question, "I- not a lot, actually." I sat up on the windowsill, "I mean how much can you really know about yourself..? I know I put suffering people to death, I like to keep to myself, and I have the power to destroy and create." I let out a small laugh, "It seems crazy I can only come up with a simple bunch of words about myself, while I can say so many things about the other Spirits. I never really realized it after now." I looked at Jack, "What about you?"

"Well, you put me into words. I'm the rebel without a cause. That pretty much sums me up, ya know."

"It puts everything into perspective. How someone can know so much about someone and yet you know nothing about yourself." I turned my head towards the window, watching the snow fall upon the feet of snow already there.

Jack cleared his throat. I expected that to happen sooner or later, considering Jack wasn't exactly the serious person.

"What are those things?"

I looked at Jack and formed another small fairy.

I designed them to look not menacing, but not pretty either. They were all female looking, they wore a small feather dress, decorated with patterns of black and gray, but their head was a black skull. They were extremely small and carried their own scythe to the slash the hearts.

"They're my fairies. They assist me in my doings. Kind of like how Tooth has hers, I copied her method." I smirked, "Kind of like how Pitch did with the Sandman's sand."

I knew that struck something in Jack, how he had witnessed Sandman die.

Even though he came back.

I sighed, "Tell North I'll be heading out for.. Business." I shut my eyes for a split second, a headache arising, "I don't like being in one place for too long."

"Wait-"

I flew out the window, gripping my scythe, before Jack could say anything more.

---------------------------------

I looked into a window, bored out of my mind, watching greasy teenagers sing to the trending songs.

I had confidence in singing, I did it to pass time, and you could assume I was good at it since I've been singing for over 2,000 years.

I winced as the girl's voice cracked. "Gosh, they need way more training.." I mumbled, even though no one could hear.

It was late at night, wonder what these teens would be doing after they were done with karaoke..

I flew to a rooftop and watched the distant stars. Burgess was a beautiful city, you gave it that. You wondered if that's why Jack always hung around here.

"Well look what we have here.."

My head whipped around and I gripped onto my scythe and stood up, "Pitch." That was all I could make out.

"The Grim Reaper herself, sitting alone on a rooftop. What were you thinking about?" Pitch asked, as though tauntingly.

"Like I said before, I'm not joining you. This has been going on for the past thousand years. Just give up." I put my guard up, expecting to half to slice one of those dreaded Fearlings of his.

"You can let your guard down, Grim Reaper. I'm not here to fight you."

"Tch, yeah. Like I'm falling for that." I rolled my eyes.

"How rude. But you still haven't answered my question."

"I was thinking about destroying you once and for all!" I charged at him, swinging my scythe and barely missing.

I looked up, seeing a black sand platform.

He's growing stronger.. I thought to myself as I flew after him.

This went on for a while, the game of Cat and Mouse.

----------------------------------

I fell to the floor in defeat, knowing I lost him.

Or maybe, I hadn't.

I got up off the grass and looked over to see a wooden bed, it was beaten up bad and looked to be as though centuries old.

I approached the bed, barely able to see a hole below it, leading into darkness.

I swung my scythe over my head and annihilated the bed, the wooden pieces falling into the hole. Seconds later, I heard the clatter.

I wearily looked down again, deciphering whether or not I should go down there.

I mean, I knew it was Pitch's lair.

"I wouldn't go in there if I were you, sweetheart."

I looked behind me, but saw no one.

"Up here."

I looked up on a tree branch and saw none other than the famous Cupid.