Chapter Thirty One: Lost & Addled

Y/n slashed at the hole that enclosed us as hard as she could, but ended up gliding back down next to Jack. She fell to the floor dramatically and let out a long groan,"That bastard better be down here!"

Jack leaned against his staff, "We can go looking. . ." He jerked his head to the side, that led to a tunnel. Y/n got up off the ground with the help of her scythe, she slung it over her shoulder, Jack having to move to the side in order not to be diced. She led and Jack followed behind.

"What do you think we'll find down here?" Y/n asked, raising an eyebrow at Jack.

He shrugged, "Who knows."

A sloshing sound, that was extremely loud, erupted from behind them. Y/n and Jack froze, and looked at each other.

"What-- was that?" Y/n turned around, squinting her eyes, with her brows furrowed.

Black, oozy bodies popped up from the ground.

"What the hell-?!" Y/n and Jack took off towards the end of the tunnel, but those bodies were fast. "They're catching up!" Y/n's face looked angered as both Jack and Y/n looked at each. Jack smirked, and she knew exactly what he wanted to do. They both stopped, skidding, as Y/n's heels stopped her, but Jack stumbled, he made a quick recovery.

Y/n held her scythe out towards her, along with Jack and his staff. But behind them, more oozing bodies came at them. Jack and Y/n put themselves back to back.

"We're surrounded. . ." Jack muttered in Y/n's ear.

"Like I don't know that!"

Jack started freezing the bodies, while Y/n ran through them, slashing each and every one of them. But it seemed like they never stopped coming.

Y/n grabbed Jack by his hoodie, flew up, and told him, "Freeze them all!"

"Al-right!" Jack flew on his own, gripped his staff, and froze all of the bodies. Y/n nodded, impressed.

They hovered back down, their feet almost getting stuck in the ooze. Y/n made a face of disgust. Jack laughed.

"Why are you laughing?" She sighed.

"Looks kinda cool."

Y/n's eye twitched, "You are one weird Spirit. . ."

"What can I say? I'm unique."

"That's one way to put it." This time, Y/n laughed.

They made it to the end of the tunnel. It looked like the middle of a sewer, a giant tank in the middle. Tile covered the huge area, light seeping in through bars.

"We can get out from up there!" Y/n pointed up, and both her and Jack went up. But the bars were too close together for either for them to fight through. "Can't you freeze it, then break it?"

"You don't believe that's really, do ya?"

They flew back down, "Yeah, a little."

Y/n and Jack explored around for about 20 minutes, but found nothing. They gathered back together, upset. They leaned against the tank.

"So. . . What now?" Y/n asked.

"Not sure. We can try that thing you said earlier."

"No, it's fine." Y/n fiddled with her scythe, running her finger along the blade. Jack looked up. But his face turned to one of panic. He put his hand on Y/n's shoulder, lightly shaking her, as he kept his head up.

"What?" Y/n asked, looking up as soon as she saw Jack. They both stood up. "Ugh! What now?!"

A black colored snow started falling through the bars.

Jack squinted his eyes, as if recognizing what it was. His eyes widened, he put his hoodie over his nose and mouth. He grabbed Y/n's mouth, keeping his hand over half of her face.

"What's your deal?!" She gasped.

"Don't breathe it in!"

Jack and Y/n ran back through the tunnel they entered, but they got slow when the ooze turned sticky. They could hardly lift their feet up. Jack took his hand off Y/n's face, and put his hoodie back down.

"What was that?" Y/n asked, once they were back were they started.

"It, uh. . . Wouldn't you know? You're always spying on Spirits, right?"

Y/n crossed her arms, "I know a lot of things, so can you clarify?"

"Pitch's mocks?"

She froze.

"You don't think they're here, do you?"

Jack looked around, "Seems like this is their home."

Y/n sighed. This was certainly a change of events.