Chapter Eleven: An Awkward Silence

The next day, I was the first to wake up.

I made two plates of toast, both slightly burnt and set one of them on the counter for Jack.

I left him the directions to the school and a note saying "I left early to school. Try not to be late."

My bag went over my shoulders and I headed out.

--------------------

My words kept ringing through my head- the words I had said to Jack.

The scene played through my head.

"I don't. But I know what he said is true. All the spirits think I'm evil like Pitch. So why should I care what they think?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What if they try to attack you? Being a Guardian can show those other Spirits that you're not evil."

What I said next.. Was something I wish I hadn't.

"That's because I am evil! I couldn't be a Guardian because I was working with Pitch! But I ended that deal just right before the Moon chose me."

I then remembered Jack's face. I never thought I would see him like that, it hurt.

I'm sure Pitch is still upset that I ended our deal. If I were in his shoes, I would be outraged as well. I tried to imagine if Jack was me. If I was mad at Jack for not wanting to be a Guardian - then he says he worked with Pitch - I would have been confused and hurt as he had.

But, not as hurt as we was, and even still is. Maybe because I don't exactly experience emotions like others, I wouldn't know.

-----------------------

"Hey, you're Y/N, right?"

"What's it to you?" I raised an eyebrow, staring the boy in the face.

"Homecoming is soon..Do you wanna go with me?"

"No one ever said I was going."

"If you change your mind.. Please tell me! I'll be ecstatic to go with you!" He smiled.

I didn't even know his name.. "Sure?"

"Thanks!" His cheeks tinted pink and he ran off to his small group of friends.

My eye twitched and I stood up from my desk.

I was once again stopped by another boy.

"So you're new here, correct?"

"What do you think?"

"Mhm. Has anyone asked you to the Homecoming dance?"

"Actually-"

"No? I'm surprised no one has asked you yet! Speaking of which.. Want to go with me?"

I swallowed, my eye twitching again, "I'm not sure if I'm going." My eyes glanced over to Jack, who seemed to have an annoyed look towards the guy who was talking to me.

His face turned red when he saw me looking at him and he looked away.