Chapter Five: An Old Friend

I smirked, "Oh wow. I didn't expect the Cupid himself to arrive in such a place like this."

Anyone would say the Cupid is on the good looking side. He had curly blonde hair and dark pink eyes. He wore a crimson red shirt and and black pants. And of course, a bow wrapped around his shoulder and his heart shaped arrows. Cupid was also pretty tall.

"So I heard the Moon picked you as the new Guardian." He softly flew down to the ground.

"Well if you've heard I wonder who else has. I think you would be a good Guardian." I crossed my arms, looking up at the Moon.

"Eh, I digress. You're really powerful, ya know. Plus, the Moon has his reasons for everything he does." Cupid said, "I think you're an excellent pick."

"Man, how long has it been? Twenty something years since we last talked? How's the romance going?" 

"Harder than it may seem. Those stupid mortal brains fall for someone so it's only one-sided love. Then I can't shoot two lovebirds with these arrows." Cupid stretched out his arms, "Been a while since I've had a break. And I've also heard you perfected the Tooth Fairy's method of creating fairies. Smart idea.." He winked.

I hesitated before saying, "Pitch is back."

"What?" Cupid's charming face turned to one of seriousness.

Wait.. Charming? I take that back. I didn't want that.

"He's growing more powerful." I tried to lighten the mood I had set, "You should use those arrows to back off some fear, too. After all," I was ready to take off for flight, "Love conquers all, right?"

--------------------------------

"How many Spirits do you actually know?" I asked Jack, we were currently hanging on a rooftop in Burgess.

"Not many. I've heard of some of them and stuff. But I don't have the knowledge of them like you do. I guess the Spirit, in this case Guardian, I'm closest to is Sandman." He winked, "And maybe in the future someone else."

Wow, he can be a lot like Cupid. I giggled. 

"What about you?" Jack looked me straight in the eye, "Who are you most closest to?"

"Well, uh- I've known a famous Spirit. But he's more of a term, like me."

I saw Jack frown at the word, he.

"And who is that..?"

"Cupid. He's actually a big flirt." I looked at Jack, "Like someone else I know.."

Jack and I laughed.

"You guys some really close." Jack said.

My eyes widened, "Whoa, whoa. Cupid and I are nothing more than friends. Plus, I-I don't do romance."

Jack nodded and looked down to the floor, "What'd you do to pass all this time? You've been around for over two thousand years."

"It's stupid- What I did to pass time, that is." I could feel my cheeks turn red.

Jack smirked, "Now I really want to know."

"She sang."

Jack and I looked behind and saw Cupid. Damn this guy!

"Cupid..!" I gritted my teeth as my face flushed red.

Cupid let out a chuckle, "So I assume your the fifth Guardian, right? Jack Frost was it?"

"Yeah." Jack's tone changed, "I am."

Gosh...

Anyone could sense the tension from a mile away.

"So, what do you do? Shoot ice around?" Cupid taunted.

"And you shoot people to make them fall in love. What any good is that?" Jack said.

"It can spread better things than hypothermia, that's for sure." Cupid crossed his arms, "Many people have died in the cold."

"Many people commit suicide because of love, too." Jack glared at Cupid, who glared right back.

I bit my lip, thinking of a way to separate them somehow.

"You don't think she's the cause of it, do you?" Cupid asked.

"Of course not!" Jack said, "See those two down there?" He pointed to a boy and girl.

"I'm not blind, snowman." Cupid rolled his eyes.

Jack huffed, "How much love can you really spread?"

"Guys.." I stood up.

Cupid readied his bow and grabbed two arrows, kissing both of the hearts on them before shooting them at the couple.

The couple stopped for a second, looked at each other, and then started to roughly make up, leading their way into an alley. I averted my eyes once the clothes started to come off.

"Cupid, I think that was a bit much.." I said, using my hand to cover the scene.

"Hey! Don't blame me. Snowman over there asked me spread some love."

"Tch, yeah. A bit too much." Jack covered the scene with his hand as well.

"Shut up.." Cupid rolled his eyes, "I've seen worse than that." He smirked and looked at me, knowing I hated romance, "Starts with a B and ends with an M.."

"Cupid, please.." My face turned red.

Jack's eyes widened in realization, "Oh man, that's just messed up.."

Cupid laughed, "You two are so gullible." He looked at me, "Has he ever heard you sing?"

"I didn't even know you knew." I huffed, "Stalker."

Jack leaned against his staff, "Have you ever heard her knowledge of the other Spirits?"

Cupid crossed his arms, "No.. But you've never heard her sing."

"You probably snuck up on her!"

"I thought you were a Guardian. Aren't they supposed to be well natured?"

"You're one to talk.."

I groaned, "Jack, we should get back to the workshop."

Cupid looked at me, "Seriously?"

"Sorry Cupid.."

Jack grabbed the snow globe from his pocket, "North's Workshop." He said and threw it into the air, the portal forming.

Jack once again gave a perfect landing while I on the other hand stumbled a bit.

"Sorry about him. He can be a bit extra." I sighed.

"I deal with kangaroo a lot. I can handle some guy." Jack smirked and leaned on his staff again.

I smiled.

North entered.

He had a look of seriousness, causing me to have worry.

"We have some news." North said, "Grim Reaper, Jack, come with me."

We followed in pursuit, both Jack and I having confused looks.

"Pitch is after a high school of teenagers." North said.

"What?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Why is he after teenagers?" Jack asked.

"None of the students at that school has ever had a nightmare. It seems sketchy. The Moon wants you two to check it out, and can even ask help from another Spirit or Guardian." North said.

"What do you mean by check it out? I don't think teenagers believe in you guys anymore.." I said.

"And that's the thing. For a temporary time, until Pitch is defeated, he is turning you guys back to mortal."

"What?!"