Chapter Thirty: Locked In

Cupid watched Y/n from a nearby tree, completely aware of her intentions. He flew off to their apartment, and knocked on Jack's window.

Jack leaned against the wall as he opened the window, letting Cupid inside. "Y/n isn't here."

"That's why I came here." Cupid said, squinting at Jack.

Jack straightened his posture, now wondering what Cupid would say.

"She's by Pitch's lair. And I'm to assume she already went down there."

"And you let her do that?!"

"She's free to do whatever she wants, I just came here because I thought the two of you were a team." Cupid said, making sure that it sounded like he was doubting Jack. "Say, did something happen between the two of you?"

Jack paused, then smirked, "Why would I tell you?"

"If you won't, I'm sure Y/n would. After all, we're very close."

Jack's eye twitched, "Yeah, I'm sure you are with every other female spirit."

Cupid huffed, "That's a bit stereotypical, don't you think? 'cuz I'm the Spirit of Lust and Love. If you make that assumption then maybe you're just nothing but an annoying troublemaker."

Jack suddenly stretched out his hand, wanting to attack Cupid, but he was quick and drew out his bow, readying his arrow.

Cupid sighed, "This is childish. Do you really want to do this?"

"I want you to leave." Jack grabbed his staff.

"Alright." Cupid put his bow on his back, "But this isn't over."

. . .

Y/n was leaving a trail of Queen of Night Tulips so she could recall where she was heading. She thought of her previous partnership with Pitch, two evil spirits they were, making the world miserable. But she hadn't done a lot of wrong, she had stopped their ordeal just before the Moon chose her as Guardian. She sighed, closing her eyes.

But she found herself falling, and before she could react, she landed with a painful thud.

Y/n groaned and slowly got up. She blinked looking around. It seemed like she was in some deserted looking mine. Carts of coal stay still, bugs flying and crawling around it as cobwebs caught onto their legs.

She squinted her eyes, almost unable to see. She looked to her side to see a brand-looking new lantern. She bent down and turned it on, a bright light emanating from it.

"WAAAHH!"

Y/n jumped at the sound of a masculine scream and ran a couple feet away from where she fell. She quickly dropped the lantern and caught the person falling in a bridal carry.

"Jack?! What're you doing here?!" She put him down.

"No, don't ask me anything. What are you doing down here?"

"I-I came to find Pitch. . ."

Jack squinted his eyes at her.

"Don't give me that look, we weren't making any progress."

He sighed, "I guess you're right." He propped his staff on his shoulder and picked up the lantern, "What is this place?"

"Looks like some sort of mine. . ." The two continued to walk, but flinched when they heard the sound of something closing an a swift movement.

Jack flew up to where they fell. The hole had closed.

"Shit. . ." He muttered and flew back down.

"What happened?" Y/n asked.

"We're locked in."