Spaces Between Us?

Tomorrow. The word hangs in the air for a moment, both a promise and a threat. Then it floats away like a paper boat, taken from her by the water licking at her ankles.
- Thrity Umrigar, Spaces Between Us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toby had a great time with his friends during the night out. It has been quite a while he didn't spend time with the male colleagues. Together with Torr, Jonathan, Rossif ("Nostradamous") and a few male stunt actors, they went to Alan's apartment, had dinner (prepared by Alan and his fiancée, surprisingly it was delicious quick dinner). After that they had drinks, playing card games and watching the latest live English soccer game through the satellite TV.

Toby didn't know Alan was quite an avid soccer fan. It was between Toby's favourite soccer team, Chelsea against Liverpool. They bet each other for the winning team. It was a tough fight between two favorite soccer teams. Finally Chelsea team showed their skills perfectly and winning the game.

After the game, they had chit chat. Alan was a very good host and Toby found he had a good taste for his apartment - it was painted with pale green colour wall and furnished with white furnitures. Minimal as he was still a bachelor, Toby guessed. He never mentioned about his marital status to any close friends in the production. But Toby heard he had married before but it didn't work out well.

After spending three good hours, everyone was making a move. Toby gave a lift earlier to Torr, while Rossif and Jonathan went home together since they stay in the same apartment.

"Toby. Can I have a talk?" Alan called him.

"Yeah, sure."

"I will be moving out from this apartment by the end of this month. Me and my fiancé decided to move to LA. I was thinking to rent this apartment to you. Are you interested?" Alan asked lengthy.

"I've never thought about that..." Toby was surprised. He really didn't think to move out from the small trailer.

"Financially I don't think it will be any trouble for you. It is the time for you to stay somewhere with more space and I guess this apartment is quite comfy. It's not far from the studio. The traffic is okay." Alan offered. He really wanted Toby to take it.

"I personally like your apartment. Quite beautiful layout. But I couldn't make any decision yet, but maybe I think about it and tell you as soon as possible" Toby said. He sounded like he already interested with Alan's apartment.

"Aha... You must have someone special to discuss about this. Someone that I know?" Alan guessed. Toby startled and chuckled a bit. He felt sudden adrenaline rush. Alan was almost like a father for him in the set and outside the studio. He was quite right.

"Sort of, well, I will let you know my decision, soon. Please don't offer anyone yet," Toby said excitedly. He couldn't wait to tell Addy about this. He wishes she would be happy about it.