Chapter Seventeen

(Name) mulled over Patty's words as she sat in her bed. She was quite hungry, yet didn't want to leave the room. She hadn't thought this plan over...
She really wanted to meet this supposed brother of hers. Maybe he could help...
Before she jumped to any conclusions and jeopardized her plan, a knock shook her door.
"Come in." She mumbled, knowing it was probably Jake. And as predicted, it was.
"Hey." He said almost softly, coming and sitting beside her. She sat cross legged on her bed, watching him warily.
"I heard what happened. How you feeling?" He asked, only then did she notice he had a slight southern drawl. It was barley there, but still noticeable.
"Fine. I'm just confused." She stated, feeling a bit more comfortable around him. He had to endure that terrible man everyday.
"Well, that's actually why I came. I'll answer any questions you have." He said, making her nod thoughtfully. He seemed like he was trying, and that thought alone made her happy. Yet as soon as the happy feeling hit it was gone. She missed peter. She missed her stupid school girl crush that devolved into a lasting friendship. She missed the nights they spent plotting and joking around. She missed the teasing...
She broke away from her thoughts as he look at her expectingly. Although she had only hung out with Peter on a few occasions, he had charmed her to no end.
"Do you have any powers?" She asked shyly, a feeling she hadn't really felt since she moved in with Tony.
"Well, yes. Everyone here is required to have special abilities amount entrance. I can direct a persons true feelings and tell if there lying or not. Think of me as a human lie detector." He said chuckling, she smiled back a little. That must of been why he was the second in command to her father. He had a valuable ability.
"Um, so my father, what can he do?" She asked, making him tense a little.
"Well, that's a bit hard to explain." He began, looking at the floor,
"Your father doesn't exactly have any powers, but then again he does. He has power over us, or at least everyone in this building. He can control over a hundred impressionable mutants." He explained to her, she nodded. It was a relief he wasn't crazy powerful.
"What about Erwin- my brother?" She asked, making Jake roll his eyes.
"Your half brother actually." He snapped, making her question their relationship.
"Do you not like him or something?" She asked, prying to know more.
"Me and your bother don't see eye to eye. When your father lost you he thought he could replicate you, having another child. Your brother is only a year younger then you, but he's a spoiled brat, and your father puts too much faith into him." He seethed, taking a deep breath. That's when she realized he must not like him because her father trusted Erwin more then him.
"He has enhanced senses. He can see smell and see things like no one else. He's basically an animal." He huffed, crossing his arms. He puffed his cheeks up pouting, she assumed it was just something he did when he was angry. He sighed and pushed a few sandy colored curls off his forehead, standing up and offering her a hand. She smiled a bit and took it as he pulled her up. He was growing on her, and if she plaid her cards right she could help him come to his senses and leave as well. If she was going to escape, so were the other innocent teens and children.
"And your about to meet him actually, I'm assuming you're hungry?" He asked, turning to her. She rolled her eyes and hugged her arms around her stomach.
"Famished, actually." She stated over dramatically. He laughed genuinely and took her hand, leading her out the door. She felt her cheeks rush with blood as he guided her.

Soon they arrived at the mess hall again, and she walked in. He let go of her hand only seconds before they opened the door.
It was full of people, and she assumed it was everyone's lunch break. She saw so many different people, about a hundred other teens in the room. She instantly felt a bit nervous, knowing they all had powers like her.
"You can go sit with Patty, she said you met her already? I'll get you and me food." He said pointing to the blonde girl. Patty turned and enthusiastically waved. She was at a table with another pre teen. The girl had long pin straight black hair and brown eyes. She looked down, not making eye contact with (Name). Her hair hung into her face like a curtain.
"Hello." She said taking a seat next to her. Patty smiled and looked to the other girl.
"I'm (Name), it's nice to meet you..." She said expecting her to say her name. The girl peeked out of her hair wall, still avoiding eye contact.
"That's Steph. She can read peoples minds by making eye contact. That's why she's avoiding you." Patty stated, stabbing her fork into some steamed carrots. (Name) nodded understandingly.
"That's absolutely amazing." She said politely, the girl not speaking still. She felt bad, wondering why she refused to speak.
"She can't speak, shes mute." Patty said, the girl didn't have much of a filter. She realized everyone in the facility was quite quirky in their own ways.
"Oh." (Name) said smiling again, trying to be as nice as possible. She felt terrible for the children. They didn't know anything out of those walls.
"She's intimidated because your the chosen one. You're the strongest here, the key to our success." She said monotone, making (Name) raise an eyebrow.
"Succes-"
"I'm back." An annoyed voice said, placing a tray next to her. She looked up and smiled at Jake, who looked peeved. He got her an apple and plain white rice. The food there was very bland.
When she felt the table move she saw Jake sit next to her, and someone sit across next to Steph. Looking up she was met with two bright (color) eyes. The same ones that run in the family.
"You're-"
"Your brother? Yes, I'm Erwin." He said, sticking a hand out for her to shake. The boy was the opposite of her. He was tall, and invisibly trained. To put it lightly, he was ripped. He had pale skin and shaved black hair. He was not someone to mess with.
"It's nice to meet you." She said to him nervously. She wanted to make a good first impression.
"I would say likewise, but we already have a problem. You're not going to take my place. And you are not nor ever will be stronger then me. If needed I'll get rid of you. Don't even think about pulling anything. I could snap you in two need be." He threatened, glaring into her identical eyes. They were almost animalistic. Sneering he stood up and walked away, sitting at a table with a few other broad boys.

She sat stunned for a moment, before she felt a hand placed in her back. She looked to see it was Jake. He must of sensed her disappointment and sadness.
"I told you. That mans an animal." He said seriously. She sighed and gave him a nod, returning to her food. She already had two enemies here, and both were her only surviving family members. That is unless someone decided to spring another sibling surprise on her again. She dearly hoped not, sibling rivalry is the worse. Especially when they threaten you.