Chapter Twentythree

(A/n: was gonna post this in a few days but I'm so excited and proud of this chapter and couldn't help myself...)

They watched in silence, the video on a short loop. Tony stood with crossed arms by the television.
(Name) walked up to the security camera in all black. Her eyes seemed glossed over, her steps firm and calculated. Holding a hand out she stared blankly and stoically into it, before it suddenly went to static.

The video played a few times before Tony paused it. Turning to them he sighed heavily.
"She took files from a government building. They have her in missions, whoever they are. And now it isn't just us looking for her. The government is going to want her. She took classified information on Shield before its fall. Data that was extremely important." He said seriously. Things were escalating quickly.
"She killed twenty five people. Guards and retired agents. She's dangerous, and not herself." He continued, siting at the head of the table.
"The only question we can ask is what do we do now?"

Peter was shocked. It was nauseating to see her like that. She was in a trance and it was not her. What happened to her?
He looked over to Jake to see his face looking at his feet. His hands were in two tight fists. He was probably blaming himself, Peter thought.

"I say we keep watch on her, monitor her moves and try to find a pattern. Once we do we try to contain her." Natasha suggested. Tony nodded deep in thought.
"Yeah, that's basically what I was thinking." He agreed, putting his hands in the table.
"Let me do a bit of digging into the videos details. Maybe something suggests who took her." He said, pulling out the flash drive. Peter and Jake nodded. They were both antsy, but learned to go with it. Peter had definitely learned the hard way many times what going into something unplanned could do.

____________________

Peter and (Name) sat in his living room, eyes bloodshot from watching tv and staying up so long.
The day had been a mess. First they had planned to meet at Peters apartment with Ned, who later found out his mom made him a dentist appointment and couldn't make it. Then they ordered pizza but neither had money, Peters aunt was going to pay for it but got mandated at her job and couldn't get home. Explaining to the delivery man and claiming it was a prank call wasn't easy, but as soon as the door closed the two burst into laughter. After eating ice cream for dinner the two just decided on watching television. Peter looked over to his friend, who was watching the reality tv blare blankly. She had blankets piled on her shoulders after she complained about the draft, curtesy of Peter. Although the TVs colors reflected onto her face because of the dark room, he couldn't help but to notice his heart race. Despite the fact she had smudged mascara and her eyes were puffy from little sleep, she had this intoxicating effect on him. He couldn't take his eyes off her, even when she turned to look at him.
Her eyes widened before she bursted our laughing, his cheeks turning red.
"W-what?!" He asked embarrassed, making her laugh harder.
"Your h-hair!" She said gasping for breath. His cheeks turned redder when he realized how nice her laugh was.
"I should get going." She said yawning, throwing the blankets playfully at him as the credits began rolling on his television.
"Oh. That's cool." He said, disappointing laced in his words. She smiled and started slipping on the converse thrown on the floor.
He walked her to the door, holding it as he watched her follow him, her book bag thrown over her shoulder.
"Bye Pete." She said, hugging him before she left. He cursed himself as he felt his face heat up.
She was close to leaving before he held out a hand and stopped her, she was halfway down the hallway,
"Wait!"
She turned, confused as he ran back into the apartment, the door open. He ran back out, breath labored. She raised an eyebrow as he walked over to her.
"Here, it's cold outside." He said, tossing his school zip up over her shoulders. She held it tighter to her thoughtfully, suddenly smiling sweetly at him.
"Your too sweet for your own good, Pete." She said hugging him again. He accepted it. It seemed like it lasted forever.
"You should head to the tower before it gets too late, I know how Mr Stark could get." He said, making (Name) nod. She suddenly went on her tiptoes and kissed his cheek quickly, turning and walking quickly down the hallway.
"Text you tomorrow! Bye!" She whisper shouted, trying not to annoy his neighbors at midnight.
"Night!" He said back, jittery. That's the closest he had ever been to a girl, not to mention one he had a crush on.

__________________

He woke up to a pitch black room, waving his hand blindly around his bedside table to fin his lamp. After knocking a few unknown things over he turned it on, sitting up. Sighing heavily he put his hands over his head recalling the memory his dream replayed.
He was sleeping in his room at the tower since him, Tony, and Jake were up late conspiring. He had called his aunt who confirmed it, saying she was out late anyway with a few work mates.
Checking the clock on his phone he sighed again at the number, 3:00 am. He deduced he couldn't fall back asleep and made the decision to roam the halls for a bit.

The tower was always a bit eerie at night, wether it was the emptiness or the silence.
He didn't care much as his bare feet hit the cold tiles. He wore his cheesy science pun shirt Tony seemed to always have cleaned and folded in his room.
He walked past Jakes room to hear oddly loud snoring, and soon approached (Name)s old room.
He stood in front of the door for a while, debating to go in or not.

"You could come in you know."

He recalled (name) saying those words all those months back. It felt like an eternity since she'd been gone. He had come over for a bit to hang out and help Tony, but she swooped him away during his lunch break. He was awkward at the idea of going into a girls room, and had frozen in his place. They were only going on there so she could get her phone. He opened the door, the nostalgic smell of the lavender plug in air spray hitting him hard.

"Y-yeah! Right..." He said nervously, eyes widening when she chuckled and pulled him in by his arm. To his surprise, her room was completely normal. She snatched her phone off her bed punching in his arm and grabbing his forearm to guide him out.

"Let's go you doof."

He simply sat on her bed, the fall my street lights from far below just lighting up the room from the open curtains. Tony had cleaned the room up after her messy departure.
He jumped a little when the air sprayer let out a measly hiss, having run out of liquid months before. His eyes trailed up the wall to the hanger, noticing his sweater he leant her hanging up. He walked up to it, the bed creaking. Taking it down he held it tight, noticing it no longer smelt like cologne but the fragrant (scent) perfume she always wore. He closed his eyes, the sweater bunching into his tight fist.

"Hey, I know sometimes the things I do are reckless. But if we ever get into a dangerous situation that I put us in, you better get to safety and let me deal with the repercussions." She had told him suddenly after one of their chats on her father. He creased his eyebrows and shook his head.
"No-"
"This isn't up to you Pete." She said standing from his desk chair,
"If I get you hurt I would never forgive myself." She admitted, staring intensely at him. He nodded,
"I'm not making any promises-"
"Peter." She warned, biting her lip in anger.
"Please just give me this, agree even if you don't mean it. I just need to hear you say it."
He sighed, shaking his head.
"Whatever, I promise." He said slightly sarcastically, making her hit his arm.
"You suck at acting, but I'll accept that."

He smiled, before it turned into a tight frown. Placing the sweater on her bed he looked out the window, his eyes narrowed.
"I'm going to have to break that promise, (Name). If it means we'll get you back. Hope you forgive me someday." He said, talking to no one. His eyes blinked harshly as he left the room.
If Tony didn't take action soon, he was going to get reckless.