Chapter Twentyeight

Peter could of sworn he'd never ran as fast as he did that day. Zooming up the stairs and down the halls he made it to her room, throwing the door open. He practically ripped the sweater off the hook as he bolted down the stairs.

She sat like usual at the bottom of the cage, broken and confused. He however felt hope once again run through his veins as he typed the passcode in. Tony gave it to him for 'worst case scenario' and well, he was willing to risk it.

He entered the cage, slowly approaching her. She barely acknowledged his presence as he sat across from her.
"(Name)..." He said, putting a hand over hers. Her hands laid limply to her sides. He tenderly picked her limp hand up and put the sweater in it. He held her hand into a fist her fingers wrapped around the sweater, closing his eyes and he prayed for something to happen.

"Damnit (Name)...." He cursed, feeling his hopes shatter.
"I know your in there." He pleaded, her cloudy (color) eyes focused on the distance.
"I won't give up on you." He reassured as he stood to leave. He felt a little more empty as he clicked in the code. Why did he think she'd respond. It would be too good to be true. He shook his head, about to hit the last digit.

"You're P-Peter." A small voice stated, making his finger freeze above the keys. His stomach did a flip, and he seemed frozen in his spot.

"I- where- Peter? Where's my Grandmother?" The girl asked timidly, he heard a rustle behind him.
He slowly turned, seeing the girl standing, clutching the jacket as she stood looking down. A shadow cast on her face.

"What did they do to me?" She said noticing the tattoo. She looked up at Peter who was shocked. She seemed to be slowly remembering things.
"I- oh god." She said sinking to the floor. Peter slowly approached her.
"I hurt them. I killed them." She said quietly, her hands shaking. Peter went up to her, putting a hand on her shoulder.

"Get away from me!" She yelled, scrambling back. Seeing her like this was even worse.
"(Name)..." He said, his eyes brimming with tears.
"Please, it's alright-"
"No!" She screeched, holding her head in her hands,
"I hurt them! I hurt Jake! I'm a monster!" She yelled rocking back and forth. Her hands locked into her ears as she sobbed.

Peter suddenly snapped back into his senses as he ran out of the cell, going to make a call to Tony.

___________________

"She hasn't stopped doing that." Peter stated, seeing her still curled in a fetal position. Tony sighed, looking over to Bucky.
Bucky shrugged, "I'm not sure. Let me talk to her." He suggested, only to be fired down by Tony.
"No, not yet. Peter, you go in."

Peter stood at the door, clicking on the keys. It slide open and closed as he walked over to (Name). He sunk down to her side, placing a timid arm over her shaking shoulders.
"I need to leave," She said, looking up. Her eyes were puffy and blood shot. He shook his head.
"No, your staying in here till Mr Stark says so." He answered. He felt his heart race as he realized his arm was still over her shoulders.

"What now? The government will have my head if they know I'm here." She said, making Peter sigh. Bucky and Tony let them have a moment alone.
"Go into hiding like Bucky. They don't know your here." He answered truthfully.
"What about Jake?" She questioned, making him suddenly stiffen.
"Oh, he's alright. His arms Alright. Mr Stark relocated all the kids to a building somewhere in Washington state, he's there. He doesn't know your here yet." He explained, she rubbed her eyes. Only then did he notice his sweater around her thin shoulders.

"Im sorry." She mumbled, making him look at her.
"For what? You technically saved over a hundred kids and busted two huge crimes. And your back now. That's all that matters." He said, sighing.

They sat in silence for a moment. It was comfortable, as if they were soaking each other's presences in.

"Why?" She asked suddenly. Her voice was more empty and emotionless then before. Her eyes darker also, like she's seen things no teen girl should of.

"What?" He asked, making her sigh and shuffle a bit away from him.
"Why are you still here? All I've done is hurt you." She said, not making eye contact.
"If I was you I would of left me in a ditch a while ago. Both you and Tony. I'm a lost cause." She said, slowly getting more and more depressed. She clutched the sweaters sleeves.
"I- I need time alone." She suddenly said beige she could comprehend an answer. He nodded, standing.

He walked to the door, but turned to speak last minute.
"We do it because we care about you, it's what family does. And get used to it, because me and Tony won't stop caring about you anytime soon." He said, and again, before she could respond he was out the door.

"Peter..." she said under her breath, watching him leave the room.
"What do I do?"