Chapter 5 - The Candy Maker

CHARLIE

Jaden wasn't at his place when I went to pick Ximena's belongings. I could see a car parked inside, but I'm not sure if that's hers. I called his mobile phone but he never picked it up. He probably doesn't have it on him or is at a place where he can't hear it... He must be at the fairgrounds with Brian. I turn Greg's car around and head to the Connor's property. Aidan, the security guard, opens the gate for me and I wave at him as I drive by. Brian and I have been friends since we were children and he knows me well.

I drive behind the fenced attractions and park next Jaden's motorcycle. The lights inside are on so I enter the house without knocking. Brian's mom sits at the kitchen table and reads a magazine.

"Charlie, sweetheart! What are you doing here?" She stands up and gives me a hug.

"I'm looking for Jaden. Just saw his bike outside."

"He's checking the carousel with Brian. That old thing has been malfunctioning so much in the last days. Brian wants to get rid of it, but it's a special machine for me. I really hope he can fix it," she sighs.

"I'm sure he'll figure something out," I pat her shoulder to comfort her.

She squeezes my arm lovingly and returns to her magazine. Fiona and my mom are best friends and she's always treated me like another son. I head outside and walk through the gate that gives access to the fairgrounds. The place looks scary and dark when everything is still. I walk to the location of the carousel and as I come nearer I hear voices.

"I can try to reproduce that gear, but I'm not sure if I have the tools. This is really old shit and that's why it is so worn out," Jaden says.

"Please give it a try. This is the place where Mom met Dad when they were kids and it means a lot to her," Brian says. "I better get moving, my people will start arriving soon."

To think that not long ago this place was full of kids from early in the afternoon and now Brian had to change the opening times to the early evening. Many families in Lonstino have moved to bigger towns and cities and the tourists don't really come here to enjoy the rides, only the nostalgic atmosphere. That has made a dent in the fairgrounds profit and I know it gives my friend sleepless nights.

"What are you doing here?" Jaden asks when he sees me. "Is Ximena by Walker?"

Jaden sits on the platform and keeps examining the rusted and worn piece of gear in his hands.

"Yeah, I brought her there. Greg gave me his car to pick up her stuff, but I found your place locked. I figured you were probably here."

"Who's Ximena?" Brian asks, interested.

"A writer who rented the top floor at Greg's place. Really beautiful woman I must say."

"Did you take dibs on her already?" Brian asks while punching Jaden on the arm.

"What the fuck are we? Thirteen?" He laughs.

"Well, I'd say Greg actually has the advantage since she will practically live with him," I say.

"You got a point there," Brian admits.

"Will you be done here soon?" I ask Jaden. "I need to bring her things and the car back to Greg. I need to make bread for tomorrow and I'm running behind schedule."

"Yeah, we are done. Brian, I will bring this thing with me and try to make a copy. If you see me here tomorrow, it means that it worked."

Brian nods and the crease on his forehead deepens. Tonight, the iconic carousel of the Lonstino fairgrounds will be out of service, making a dent in the day's earnings.

"I guess we don't have another option. I'll let Mom know when I go to the house to change clothes," he cleans his hands on a greasy rag and places it at the back of his tattered jeans.

Jaden and I return to his garaga and he helps me place the heavy suitcases and boxes in Greg's car. Does she really need all of this for only six months?

"What do you think about her?" Jaden asks out of the blue.

"Are you referring to Ximena?"

"Is there anything new happening around here?"

"That woman is different to all the easy flings you get. If you are truly interested in asking her out, I advise you to be careful with your words. I also think Jess won't be amused."

Jaden opens his mouth to say something, but then changes his mind and closes the garage door.

XIMENA

Cleaning the kitchen properly has taken us almost an hour. The boys are certainly naughty, but their chatter is so amusing. Greg was shocked and obviously pissed, but even he had to laugh. The doorbell rings while Greg supervises the boys in the shower and I hope it is Charlie coming to bring my stuff.

A man with a very tired and sad look in his aqua eyes, and a familiar look, waits outside.

"Is Greg at home?" His voice sounds a bit impatient.

"Yes, but he is busy at the moment. Can I help you?"

"I'm his brother in law... Ex brother in law. I forgot my spare key and I'm here to pick my sons."

"Oh! I'm really sorry to keep you waiting outside. Greg said you were coming around six," I move out of the way and let him walk inside.

"I managed to close the shop earlier. Most tourists go home on Sundays, so I only had the local customers throughout the day. I assume you are renting the apartment. He told me he received a request for it."

"I did. I'm Ximena Gaytan," I offer him a hand to shake.

"Lewis Red-"

Squeals and a yell come from the bathroom, and then Greg walks out with his front drenched. I can't contain the laughter while he doesn't look amused.

Lewis sighs. "Sorry, Greg. I'll take care of this."

I return to the last cleaning tasks in the kitchen while Greg changes into dry clothes, and a few minutes later, two clean boys stand in the living room.

"Remember what we talked about," I say to the boys. "No more baking adventures unless you ask your uncle or your dad first, and the next time you come here, we can cook something together. Now, come and give me a hug before you go home."

The boys come into my arms again and hug me even harder than before. Lewis looks almost shocked and I wonder why. We wave them goodbye from the door and before I return to my new place I stop Greg.

"Why did Lewis react that way when I hugged his kids? I'm not going to hurt them."

"Because the twins don't show affection to anyone."

"Not even to their father?"

"No. I guess that's what happens when your mother abandons you so young," he sighs. "Let's go to my spotless kitchen, we deserve a glass of wine."

His words fill me with sadness and I really hope the boys come to visit soon.