Chapter 15 - Breaking the Ice

XIMENA

After lunch, the boys and I returned to my apartment to shower and change clothes as I don't find it proper help for Lewis if I give him his kids back smelling like goats and everything else they hugged at the petting zoo. While the boys get dressed, I look out the window and watch the action at the pier. There's still a large crowd walking around and I think of Lewis and his confident smile while he packs baked goods for his clients.

Michael's words still swim in my head. I'm sure Lewis would be a perfect boyfriend for any woman. He's been the responsible adult in the relationship with Hannah and that says a lot about him. Too bad I don't know many women around this town. I wouldn't mind introducing him to a nice girl that could make him and the boys happy.

My gaze travels to the distance and the fuzzy shape of the Ferris wheel. Being at the fairgrounds is fun, but going there with children is way better. It is close to three in the afternoon, so that will give us plenty of time to enjoy it before Lewis brings them home.

"Hey guys, I have an idea, but we need to go by your dad to ask for permission," I say as they come into the living room.

Without explaining what it is I receive enthusiastic nods and feel honored that they trust my plans without knowing the details. We set their bags in the car and then walk together to the pier. The flower lady in the kiosk next to the Candy Pier one gives me a suspicious look. Lewis chats with an elderly guy while handing him a bag and then sees me. His expression changes to one of worry and I give him a big smile to reassure him that everything is okay.

"Hey guys, what are you doing here?" He asks.

"I came to ask permission if I can bring the boys to the fairgrounds."

The expression on the kids' faces is worth a million, a mix of happiness and hope.

"I'm okay with it."

The happy squeals are deafening, making many market customers turn their heads to find out what's going on.

"I guess there's plenty of energy left," I say to Lewis above the noise.

"I'll pick them at the fairgrounds when I'm done here. We can meet by the souvenir shop at the entrance."

The boys give Lewis a hug around the waist without being prompted, leaving him shocked as usual, and we say goodbye. Once we arrive at the fairgrounds, they watch everything with big eyes and smiles, which gives me the impression that they don't come here often. I get on my knees before we enter and hold their hands.

"Guys, the fairgrounds are busy today, so I need you to stay close to me. Do you understand? It's easy to get lost there. If by any chance that happens, go and find someone who works there or a mom with kids and tell them you are lost."

The boys nod and walk close to me. Today will be a good day for business and Brian must be happy to see the place so full. Brian... It's unfortunate that we ended up mad at each other the last time we met. If I see him today I don't know what I will say or do. I still want to continue our friendship, but I'm not sure if he feels the same way.

Our visit begins with a ride on the caterpillar and I regret sharing the seat with them as I end up squished during the ride. We make our way through all the kiddie rides; the teacups, the vintage cars, the carousel, which I'm happy to see lit and working, and in between, we play in the stands. So far we have won two stuffed penguins and as I get ready to throw another ball in a basket, the smell of hot dogs coming from a nearby stand distracts me.

"Luke, Michael, would you like a hot dog?"

They nod enthusiastically and I love it. I order the food and pay, and as the attendant hands me the first hot dog, I turn around to give it away and notice the boys are gone, their penguins at my feet. I feel my spirit leaving my body as I look around the crowd. I forget the food, grab their toys and feel more desperate with every second that passes and I can't find them.