Chapter 31 - Date

XIMENA

Lewis soft cologne scent receives me inside of his car and I enjoy how familiar it is. His skin is recently shaven and I can't wait to press my lips to it. Tonight, he looks like the prince of a fairy tale. We have spent a lot of time together in the past weeks and I feel surprised at how easy and simply we have adapted to each other's lives. Our routine is comfortable, I get the boys ready for school and Lewis brings them while I head back to the apartment and spend the whole day writing. Sometimes I bring the laundry and run it while I work, then I pick up the boys. That's become one of my favorite parts of the day, when I wait for them at the school gate and they spot me. They run to me, all sweaty and with messed up clothes while sporting the biggest smiles. When Lewis comes home, their homework is done and I have dinner ready. Lewis is thankful and many times apologizes for all my efforts, but he has no idea how much pleasure I get from this new lifestyle.

"You are quiet," he takes a quick glance at me before returning his eyes to the road.

"I'm thinking about everything that has happened in the past days and my life in Greenwood," I say and his hands get tighter on the steering wheel.

"Do you miss living there?" He says calmly, but I detect a hint of panic in his voice.

"No, I don't."

A smile appears on his lips. "Then why are you thinking about that?"

"I don't want to go back."

"Do you have to? I do assume that your family misses you."

"My parents have never given me the indication that they do, and the extended family is busy with their lives. The times we have met at a family reunion, they are more interested in my life as a writer and if I've met any celebrities than about me as a person."

"Celebrities..." He huffs. "Didn't even cross my mind."

"Well, it appears that's all they find interesting about me. My parents are civil towards me when we see each other at those events, but it's the opposite, they don't want to know about my career. How about your parents? Do they prefer the status quo like mine?"

"No, my parents are actually the opposite. Dad retired last year after teaching Math for 30 years, and Mom still teaches at college. My father taught Greg even when he went to college, that's how small the world is. He never imagined that we would end up becoming family. As individuals, they are caring and supportive, and having them a phone call away is what's kept me in one piece after the situation with Hannah."

"So they were okay with your career? No gentle pushes for you to become a professor?"

"Not at all," he shakes his head and his smile broadens. "My mom likes to bake. Each time she made cookies it was like magic to me. How she combined all those ingredients to make something new, plus the advantage of being able to eat it. When I was 13 we were in a bookstore and I saw a pastry recipe book about tarts and I begged my mom to buy it for me. She asked me to pick a recipe and on the way home, we stopped by the supermarket to get the ingredients for a peach and custard tart. The result was awful," he laughs. "The filling was runny, I burned the crust. It didn't stop me and I tried it again, and that time I got it right. Then I knew all I needed was patience and to follow the instructions."

"Sounds like you made the right career choice."

"One of the decisions in my life that I don't regret. This is the place," he says as he enters a parking lot.

A beige building with the word "Pampas" in a bright red neon sign on the wall comes into view. Lewis parks the car and we walk towards the entrance. The restaurant has a contemporary design with tall booths in orange and red wooden tables. Tall flames come from the grills in the wide open kitchen in the back and the scent of grilled meats hangs in the air.