Chapter 36 - Evening

CHARLIE

Attending school has become a more pleasing experience than I ever expected. Zoe's knowledge on my type of learning issues has been incredibly helpful and now I spend my time in class listening, and staring at her, instead of trying to take notes. As I park my car, I see Greg walking out of the school building. I stay seated inside my vehicle so he can't see me. I know he won't judge me for my purpose here, but I also don't enjoy getting attention or praise for trying to finish something I should have done long ago. What is he doing here so late? He can't be quitting his teaching job at the university. Even with the inconvenient commute, he loves the career he's built there. Maybe when he comes by the café I can ask him what he's been busy with lately.

Maybe Ximena knows more, although I don't see much of her lately. I'm happy that she's given Lewis a chance and she's great with the twins. She's also helping to save the future of the fairgrounds, one of the last authentic places in Lonstino. Jess and I started moving into the space we leased at the food court, and found her helping Jaden with a painting job. She told me she's also been busy with Serendipity, the little baking shop Lewis will manage at the fairgrounds, whenever she isn't writing. The space used to be full with dusty boxes and needed to be sanitized. Armed with cleaning products, Lewis and her scrubbed the place down to his standards and soon it will be outfitted with furniture and everything else.

I find Zoe grading exams in the faculty room. I felt proud about the B I got on my first test with Vivian, and I'm curious about how I did in this one.

"We will start in a minute, Charlie. Let me finish this first."

"Sure," I take my book out and read a chapter in silence using my finger to guide me. 

"And that was the last one. I want to give everybody their results later, but I can tell you in advance that you did well again."

The good news make me smile and I lean in to kiss her.

"Hi..." She says when we separate and her goofy smile warms my heart. "Have you been practicing?"

"I've been giving it my best."

Zoe corrects some of my words as I read out loud and gives me tips on how to remember others. We move then to the flash cards and it surprises me that with each day that goes by I can read them quicker. Almost as if my brain recognizes the words and I don't need to think so hard. I've also been trying to read anything I come across, like signs and short sentences. It's going better, but I still can't figure words written in cursive.

"I'm very proud of your efforts. I see you've been practicing," she kisses my cheek.

"Having a gorgeous teacher has a lot to do with it," I say and she blushes while laughing.

"Such a flirt. Continue with the next chapter and we'll work on that one tomorrow. I have something for you."

Zoe takes some laminated sheets from a bag and I recognize the logo of the café on them.

"When we were at the police station, I met your sister. Everyone thought we were just a casual date, but she realized that I'm your teacher and asked if there is any way she can help you. A few days ago, I got an idea of how she could and asked her to send me the menu of the café. I had it made in the same special font of your learning material. I will give you a week to study it well and after that, Jessica will stop writing numbers on the food orders."

The thought of changing something that's worked well for a long time scares me. "I- I don't know if I can do that! What if I screw up an order? What if what she writes doesn't match? We have other serving staff, you know?"