Chapter 25 - Raincheck

GREG

Yesterday evening, I did something I don't do often which was going out with colleagues after work for a drink. I enjoyed myself and the good conversation and jokes, even when my head is still busy with the recent events in my life. When I came home, close to midnight, I saw Ximena's light was still on. I haven't seen much of her in the last days which usually means that she's in a good roll with her writing. I wouldn't bother her, but I have news regarding the search for Oliver and I'm sure that she would like to know.

"Ximena?" I say after knocking on her door. 

I wait, but get no answer and it worries me. The door is unlocked and I open it a sliver to check if I can hear the water in the shower running. Her whereabouts are clear when I see a tuft of blonde hair coming out of a blanket bundle on the couch. She seems to register my presence and opens her eyes, then gives me a drowsy grin.

"Hey, you. Come in. Hope you brought some coffee."

A chuckle escapes me and I open the door wider, then show her the mug of coffee I brought for her.

"You are heaven sent," she rubs the sleep from her face and moves the blanket away.

I'm not sure what she's been busy with, but her hair looks like a nest and she seems to have slept in the clothes of the day before. She lets out a yawn while looking around groggily.

"I don't even remember turning the TV off," she says after drinking from the mug. "I was writing non-stop last night, until my eyes became a blur and then took a break. I sat here, and well, woke up now."

Her phone buzzes on the dining table.

"Can you read that for me while I brush my teeth? I feel disgusting," she stands up and shuffles her feet towards the bathroom.

"It's from Laura. She says that she loves you and that if she wasn't straight, she would marry you in this instant."

"How many exclamation marks?" Ximena asks with her mouth full of toothpaste.

"At least ten," I say and she laughs.

"That means she liked what I sent her last night, or this morning. I'm not really sure when I sent the email. How have you been? Any news about the search?"

"That's why I'm here. I just got an email from the investigator I hired to help me. The social worker that sent the last email to Sophia left her position last year and now works as a student counselor at my old high school. Vivian Thomas works 20 minutes away!"

"Do you think you will be able to talk to her soon? This is one step closer!"

"I will give a call to the school when I get back to my place to make an appointment with her. I don't know if she will be able to help me, but hopefully she still knows what happened with him."

"I hope she can give you the answers you need," she says while trying to tame her hair with a brush.

"Do you want to go out for pizza tonight? I know everything is still uncertain, but I feel like celebrating."

"I can't. I have a date with Lewis. Can you help me to pick something to wear?" She asks before disappearing into the bedroom.

"Why do you think I can give you advice on that? I'm not really into fashion. Wait, Lewis?"

"Yes, Lewis, as in Luke and Michael's dad. You have known him longer than I do, and maybe can help me decide on something that matches his style. I have no idea where we'll go for dinner."

I let out a sigh. If Lewis, with his shy disposition, has managed to ask Ximena out successfully, maybe I should consider to start dating again.

"Lewis is an urbane and kind man. I still don't know what he saw in my uncouth sister. He'll probably bring you to a quiet and refined restaurant out of town. Something like this could work," I take a forest green dress from her closet and push it into her hands.