Chapter 22 - Paragraph

XIMENA

Lewis' request to talk has me filled with curiosity. What does he have to say that he couldn't in front of his friends? I wonder if they are talking and speculating about us, which I will probably find out when I return home and check on Greg.

Lewis looks different today, calm, and there's a new expression in his face that I can't decipher. We cross the street and enter the pier which is full of people enjoying the good weather.

"How are the boys?" I ask to break the silence.

"They are well and still talking about how much fun they had with you. I'm sorry we haven't been able to schedule something yet, but it's not because of lack of interest. First they were with Hannah and the next weekend I brought them to see my parents who had not seen them in a while. To be honest, they rather spend time with you than anyone else."

"That's sweet. I had so much fun with them too. If you ever need a hand if Hannah brings them too early or has a change in plans, give me a call and I can entertain them."

"You are too kind and I'm sure they will be delighted with the idea. Ximena... I brought you here because I would like to invite you for dinner. To thank you for what you have done with my boys, but also because I enjoy the time we have spent together. I'm not great at dating, but I could use the company in an adult setting," Lewis says while staring at the sea.

"You want us to go on a date?"

"Well... It doesn't have to be a date and you can decline. I will understand," his cheeks turn a shade of pink, and I realize how introverted Lewis actually is and how much effort this is taking him.

"I'm not doing anything on Friday night, are you free then?"

My answer surprises him, seeing that he's wide-eyed. "Friday? Yeah, that should work. Hannah will pick the boys straight from school."

"Well, on a future occasion you can also ask Greg if you need a babysitter," I say and have a lot of trouble hiding a smile.

He chuckles. "What has Greg done to you that you want to punish him?"

"Nothing in particular. He just needs to get over the idea that the boys' goal is to terrorize him," I laugh.

"I swear that I try to spare him as much as I can from babysitting them. So I keep it at picking them from school when I can't make it on time. Sometimes I wonder how he would have managed with a kid of his own," he leans on the railing of the pier and stares at the people passing by. "Anyway, Charlie offered to take care of them if you accepted going out on a date with me."

"Charlie? He knew you would ask me out?"

"Let's say that I needed someone to give me the last push to dare to ask a woman on a date. He's become a very close friend since I moved here and suggested that I ask you out."

"You are the first one to ask me straight to my face. Jaden tricked me into one, Charlie tried to kiss me, and Brian succeeded in kissing me. Aren't other women available in this town?"

"There are single women around without a doubt, but you are an easy person."

"Easy? Do you think I'm easy?"

My words come out harsh and Lewis takes a step back, shields his body with his arms, and clutches the fabric of his sleeves. His face shows fear, and it stops me before I say another word.

"I didn't mean it that way," he says hurriedly.

"It's okay. It's fine, Lewis. I'm sorry for becoming so defensive. What were you saying?"