Chapter 45 - Oliver

GREG

Vivian holds my hand as we walk behind Ms. Lanehart. I'm grateful that Vivian is here, because right now I don't know what to do with myself. I certainly had some hope to meet him, but kept convincing myself that this would be an introductory meeting and not much else would happen. My whole body shakes and my knees feel weak. I didn't prepare for this, don't even know what I will say.

"You can wait here. It is a small reception area. I will bring him in as soon as I find him, which can take a while," Ms. Lanehart chuckles as she opens a door.

I try to say something witty, but what comes out of me is a weak yeah. Vivian stands in front of me and rubs her hands on my arms.

"I know this is a big deal for you and it's difficult to relax."

"Nothing could have prepared me for a moment like this. Will you stay?"

"This is your moment. You are about to take a big step, and you need to find out for yourself if it's right for you both. If time allows, I will say hello afterwards. Hopefully he still remembers me," she smiles and I let her warmth calm me.

After taking a deep breath, I enter the room and take it in. It's quite a different setting than Ms. Lanehart's office and the somber look of the building outside. The living room is cozy and its primary pieces are the large blue couches with cushions in different colors, a table piled high with board games and a few comfortable looking chairs. Through the window, I see a group of kids playing in a yard and I wonder if one of them is Oliver. 

What should I say when I meet him? I should have asked Vivian for a few pointers. She talks with children all the time. Well, I do too. Having conversations with Luke and Michael has become easier lately. I stopped thinking of them as miniature adults and started enjoying the nonsense and the humor of their chats.

When I hear footsteps outside, I quickly straighten my clothes and pass a hand over my hair. The door opens and Ms. Lanehart gives me a reassuring smile as she enters the room, followed by Oliver. I'm in awe of how much he looks like Sophia, he even eyes me carefully just like she did the first time I asked her out.

"Oliver, I would like to introduce you to Greg Walker," Ms. Lanehart says. "He wants to have a chat with you. I'll be in my office."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Oliver," I offer a hand that he shakes firmly.

Ms. Lanehart gives me a nod and closes the door. I invite Oliver to take a seat and in order not to seem too pushy, I sit in the opposite couch.

"I really don't know what to say. It's not like I rehearsed this," I say to myself.

Oliver frowns and I find the gesture charming. It's better if I'm honest and tell him everything.

"The reason I'm here is because I knew your mom. We were married for a short time before we were in a car crash and she passed away. I ended up with this..." I lift my pant where he looks with interest at my prothesis. "Going through the purse she had that night I found out that she had been looking for you since the day you were born. She never told me that she gave birth to a son. You see, a man, your real father, signed a paper to give you away without her permission."

Oliver's eyes widen and I worry that I might have said too many horrible things that a child shouldn't know.

"You knew my mom?" He asks in a raspy voice.

"A wonderful woman. Would you like to see a picture of her?" I ask and he nods.

I open my wallet and take out a folded photo of us that I carry around. She always complained she looked terrible in it, but I find her at her loveliest wearing an oversized sun hat and sporting a bright smile. I hand it to Oliver who seems to be analyzing every detail of her face.