Chapter 13 - An Unexpected Call

BRIAN

We are barely making enough to cover the costs of operations and I don't know what else I could do to make it work. The books are not yet in red, but I need to do something to make sure I can keep the fairgrounds open and pay my employees for years to come. Maybe I should have a brainstorm with Jaden about giving the place a fresh face with a limited budget. When my dad managed the fairgrounds, things seemed to be going so well as it was always full with visitors. During the summer, he even had extended hours to cope with the demand for entertainment. But those were different times when Lonstino was full of young families with children that are now my age. Many of them went to study elsewhere and stayed, others got married and moved away. The usual visitors have now been replaced with senior tourists who consume enough in food, but don't go into the attractions.

I close the admin program on my computer before the administration makes me even more upset. Outside my window, a beautiful woman walks up the driveway and only that makes my day a million times better. I head downstairs taking the steps two at a time and she jumps startled as I open the door before she can knock.

"Jeez, Brian! I think my heart stopped!" Ximena clutches her chest.

"Didn't mean to scare you. I saw you walking this way," I say while kissing her cheek as a greeting. "What is the reason for this unexpected visit?"

"I've been on a good flow with my writing and for fear of becoming a hermit, I decided to go outside and pay you a visit."

"Very appreciated. Wanna take a walk?" I say and she nods.

"Sure. How's everything going on here?"

"Not fantastic to be honest. I want to ask Jaden to give me a hand redesigning the food stands. My grandfather and his father before built those and they are showing decay. Of course, they are as real as they can get for a turn of the century fair, but this place needs serious renovations. I'm hoping to attract a younger crowd."

"How can Jaden help you then?" She asks, her face showing curiosity.

"Jaden is an artist besides being a mechanic. He used to draw a lot when we were children and showed talent already then. He's best at making replicas. If you give him a pattern, photo or illustration he can make it."

"That's a surprising fact about him," she grins.

"Most people don't know about it. I even wonder if he still keeps his journals with his drawings. The problem I'm facing is that he can only give me his free time. It will take longer because I might be able to afford the materials but not the manpower. The fairgrounds have existed forever, at least in my head, and I don't want to close them."

"I'm really sorry Brian. Rest assured that if there's anything I can do to help, you can count on it. I can't build stuff, but I have a steady hand for painting. It will be a welcome distraction from writing all the time," Ximena rubs my arm in a comforting way.

"I promised my father before he passed away that I would take care of this place as well as he did. I feel as if I'm failing him. My mom says that I'm doing my best, that these are different times than when I was a child, and that every generation of Connors has faced loss of profit at a certain moment. I want to believe her and I want my children, and the children of my children, to keep the tradition alive."

My heart is in this place. I was born at the family house and grew up among the rides, the noise, the busy grounds. The fairgrounds have been the source of income for many people in Lonstino and I feel responsible towards them.

"Brian, I will help you. I don't know exactly how but I will."

We come to a stop in the middle of the grounds surrounded by the colorful and silent rides. I cup her face and kiss her. I'm not sure if it's because I feel desperate, lonely or grateful, but one thing is for sure, Ximena is not kissing me back.