Chapter 39 - Bail

GREG

Now that Ximena spends more time at Lewis' house, I realize how much I miss her. At least I get to see her on the days I'm free as she still uses the apartment upstairs to write. It's better than nothing and I can see that Lewis makes her happy. 

Our relationship is the kind I always thought siblings had. It's what I saw between Charlie and Jess, and it always made me wonder what I could have done to Hannah that she hates me so much. Those thoughts consumed me for a long time, until I understood that my sister was jealous. I was always surrounded by friends, graduated at the top of my class and landed a job almost immediately. Hannah craves attention all the time, and her friends eventually get bored with her. The same with some of her boyfriends. School wasn't really her favorite thing and I've lost count of how many jobs she's gotten and quit.

I wish that Ximena was around more often so that I can update her immediately on any developments on the search for Oliver. Vivian is an incredibly helpful and knowledgeable woman, and together with the private investigator I hired they have made good progress. At least we know where he isn't, and what we still need to find out, besides his location, is if he has been adopted already. The hope of finding him has given me the energy necessary to finish cleaning the second room. If I get the opportunity to take care of him, I want him to have a room to call his own. In the past weeks, I have spent time with my nephews and my attitude towards children has changed. I realized that I have been too hard on them, expecting them to act like adults instead of enjoying their innocence and humor.

Tonight, I will meet with Vivian once more to discuss our next steps and to hear if she found out  any new information. I must admit that besides about Oliver, we spend plenty of time talking about other topics. I feel comfortable around her and her intelligence and kindness have opened me to the idea of loving once again. I still miss my wife, and I will always love and remember her, but I think I'm ready to ask Vivian out on a date. Out of our conversations, I've learned that she isn't in a relationship and is not dating anyone. I really hope she gives me a chance.

The house phone rings and I don't recognize the number on the caller ID.

"Hello?" I answer carefully.

"Greg! You need to come down here and pay my bail."

"Who's this?" I ask when I can't recognize the female voice.

"Who can it be you fucking fat sack? Do you get called by women all day?" The voice hisses and then I recognize who I have on the phone.

"Hannah... And why should I go there and pay your bail?" 

"Because I'm your sister! That's why!"

"Why are you in jail anyway?"

"I got arrested at my house! That stupid whore living with Lewis pressed charges! And will you believe this? That asshole ex of mine, Mario, also gave a statement against me!"

Ximena and Mario, we will all be forever grateful for your intervention.

"Don't you have a boyfriend? Why don't you call him?"

"He's not answering the phone," she says in an irritated voice. "Come here and pay the fucking bail. I don't belong in this place!"

"How convenient for you that I become your brother when no one else wants to save your ass. Well, guess what? I'm not going to bail you," I sit on the couch and admit to myself that I'm enjoying this conversation.

"You have to Greg," she pleads and it sounds as if she's crying. "I have no one else. Mom and Dad are far away! You are my blood!"

"After all the years suffering from your abuse, you want me to forget it all and be your brother. You are a bitch to everyone around you, you screwed the relationship with the most decent man who has crossed your path, and you even neglect your own sons. Your own blood, your own family. You love no one, not even yourself. What I find it too bad is that social services only gave you a warning before. I hope they see who you really are and what you've done!"