Chapter 7 - The Entrepreneur

GREG

My only hope is that I didn't leave a bad impression on Ximena. She touched my knee and I freaked out momentarily. Only my parents and close friends know the extent of my injuries after the accident. She looked embarrassed by my reaction and I didn't mean to take such a defensive stance. It's a pity because I spent most of my days by myself and I was enjoying her company. She's easygoing and I think we could become good friends if she forgets what happened last night.

Going up the stairs has not been easy for me in the past years and now balancing a tray it's an even bigger challenge. I knock on her door and she smiles when she sees me.

"Hey, Greg. Good morning."

"Good morning to you too. I was fixing breakfast for myself and assumed that you packed no groceries," I motion with my head to the tray in my hands.

"That's so kind! I just woke up. Breakfast wasn't even in my radar yet. What's this?" She picks one of the cookies from the tray and examines it.

"One of Lewis' specialties, peanut brittle cookies. He always spares some inventory for me."

She closes her eyes while savoring the first bite. I know how good they are and need to control myself to not eat the whole box in one go.

"This is seriously delicious! What kind of store does he have?" She picks the tray from my hands and sets it on the coffee table.

"He has a confectionery called Candy Pier and also sells some small baked goods. It's on the street parallel to Main. I swear it is the most beautiful business in Lonstino. You should check it out when you have some time."

"I definitely will. And what time does the fairgrounds open?" She motions for me to sit on the couch while she nests in an armchair.

"Today at six. Saturday and Sunday from noon."

"I think I will go there this evening. I've been looking at the Ferris wheel all evening."

"Do you want me to call Charlie to go with you? I have a late class today."

"Thanks for the offer, but I like to explore on my own. Once I get my car back it will be even easier for me to go on adventures."

"If that's what you like then you can take the bus at the corner of Harbor and Main. It makes a stop close to the fairgrounds. I'm going to the supermarket in a few minutes. Would you like to go with me or do it on your own?"

"I can use a ride there. I don't know how long it will take to get my car fixed. Let me put on some shoes."

Ximena goes to find her shoes and I look around the apartment. She's definitely made it her own already; books, notebooks, trinket boxes and candles lie everywhere. She moved an armchair next to the window where she's currently using the bench as a desk. She wasn't joking when she said she liked the view.

XIMENA

Greg and I had a fun time together this morning. During our car ride he kept pointing at buildings for me to use as reference points when I go out on my own. He also told me about his family. His parents are also college professors and decided to move away to be closer to the institutions where they teach, after Hannah married Lewis, and left the house to Greg.

The rest of the afternoon I spent organizing my notes and I have a good idea of the direction I want my story to take. I've allowed myself a few days to settle in and will soon begin my writing sprints. I hope I don't get disappointed by what I find at the fairgrounds and that I can eat a candied apple. I've never had the pleasure of eating one as my mother wouldn't allow it. If I get my hands on popcorn and cotton candy, I'll consider that my dinner. The bus ride gives me another glimpse of Lonstino and the rocky coast and the early evening colors on the sky, purples, pinks and oranges, become my transition to the colorful lights at the entrance of the fairgrounds.