Chapter 20 - Confessions

XIMENA

After a wonderful meal with Brian, in which we talked and laughed, and our connection as friends became stronger and clearer, I came home in a much better mood than I left it. After opening the front door I heard sobs coming from Greg's and found him sitting on the couch, crying and holding papers in his hands. I didn't know what was happening, so my first instinct was to comfort and protect him so I placed my arms around him. He shook all over and I wasn't sure if it was from anger or pure sadness. When he handed me the papers I felt hesitation about reading them, as if I was intruding in something serious, but after looking at them, I realized it was something that would have been too difficult for words.

The top one was a letter dated from almost three years ago from an adoption agency, and the rest were more letters, printed emails and some medical records. The words from a social worker confirmed that a five-year-old child called Oliver Rayner, matched the birth date and birth place, and was still waiting to be placed for adoption. The other documents contained exchanges with a hospital, several other institutions, a private investigator and a lawyer. The pack of documents spanned around five years for what I could see. The copy of her letter to this adoption agency drafted by her lawyer stated that five years before she had given birth to a son that she called Oliver, her maiden name was Rayner. Complications from childbirth required her to undergo emergency surgery that didn't have the desired results and left her fighting for her life. Her ex-partner seemed to have been planning all along to give the child away as he submitted documents with her forged signature giving away the baby's custody then left town. She had been trying to find her child since then.

"She told me about the surgery when our dating turned serious. It left her sterile, but I didn't mind, of course. She was an exceptional woman and I loved her so much," Greg said sorrowful. "I didn't know she had a child. Why did she keep this a secret? I could have helped her to search for him."

Greg looked so heartbroken that I didn't know what to do to make him feel better. He complained of a headache so I brought him a few pills with water and told him to try to rest, and that we would look at everything in detail in the morning. I left my door and his open so I could hear if he needed my help, and kept turning in bed the whole night, thinking of what I could do to help him.

He didn't go to work this morning as his car is still parked in the driveway, and I don't blame him. Trying my best to be supportive, I get another mug and fill it with coffee before heading downstairs. The door is still open, and there are no crying noises or sounds of distress.

"Come in, Ximena. Is that for me? Thanks," he grabs the mug I offer him.

Greg places the papers and a pen on the coffee table in front of him. He's not crying, but his face is still swollen and pale.

"How are you holding up?"

"I think I'm okay now. The biggest shock passed already. I'm sorry you saw me like that yesterday," he blushes. "Thanks for keeping me company. I really needed it."

"Count on me anytime. What have you been doing?" I motion with my head at the papers.

"I'm taking notes on what happened and who she had been in contact with. It's been a while, so I hope her contacts remember about this case. I want to finish what Sophia started and find Oliver."

I don't dare to ask what his intentions are. The only interaction I've seen of him with children is with Luke and Michael and it doesn't go exactly smooth. "If there's anything I can do to support you, let me know. Even if it's to listen."

"Thank you for the offer. I truly appreciate it. The truth is that I don't even know where to begin. My instinct is to call her lawyer and also to check if the social worker still works at the adoption agency. It's been three years and maybe she doesn't anymore. Oliver must be around 8 years old now and maybe he has been adopted already. I want to find out if he's well and happy. I owe that to her after what happened," he sighs.

"Let me know if you need a hand making the calls."

"I'll keep that in mind if it turns too difficult for me. I need to gather my thoughts first or otherwise no one will take me seriously. Ximena, I'm sure you understand how serious this is and that I want to keep it private."

"I won't say a word to anyone."

"How was your date with Brian yesterday?"

The question leaves me surprised and slightly annoyed.

"I don't know how you know I was with Brian, but we didn't have a date. We went to the restaurant across Lewis' store to talk and eat. Not much different than when I go to the café to talk with Charlie and eat his food. We are friends and my affection for Brian is almost brotherly. It's the same way I feel about you. I don't know what kind of woman the people in this town think I am, but I have plenty of self respect and don't go to bed with the first guy who crosses my path."

"My apologies, Ximena. Like Jaden, Brian also has a reputation when it comes to women. He had a girlfriend for a really long time, but after their break up he only fools around."

I let out a sigh, and hug my legs. "He told me about that. Brian believes he will never feel for any woman like he did for her. I really hope for him that the right one crosses his path because he's a wonderful guy with a lot to offer. I do have to admit something to you though. I've been thinking a lot about Lewis..."

"Lewis? In what sense?"

"That's what I'm struggling with. I don't know if it's due to the boys or because it pains me to see him so sad. Greg, what is wrong with me?"

"Nothing is wrong with you. You have a good heart and I know you worry about the people you care about even if you have only known them for a short time. Maybe you should ask Lewis on a date. And before you protest and tell me how you will only be here until you finish your book, I want to remind you that things can change and that's okay. Look, I'm a widower starting on a crazy adventure to find a child, when only yesterday my intention was to clean a room to make a home office. Change is the most natural and inevitable course in life. There's only one way to find out if you think about Lewis because of the boys or if there's something else developing. I wish you would have met him years ago. He was full of energy and ideas then, until Hannah damaged him."

"You are right. At least I should give it a chance and if I don't feel anything then I will know for sure. Will you babysit the boys then?" Greg lets out a groan and I chuckle. "They are not bad."

"They hate me."

"They don't hate you. They are six years old and full of energy. You can't expect them to sit still for long periods. Surprise them once and show them that you know how to be fun. If they spit at each other, just spit too. And if you find Oliver, then you'll have to think about your next steps. Getting used to the way kids behave is step number one."

Greg looks resigned but determined. "You will owe me big for doing that."

He then stands up and something calls my attention. He catches me staring at it while he puts the papers away in a leather messenger bag.

"It's a prosthesis. Lost my left leg from the knee down after the accident."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to stare. It's just..." My cheeks and neck feel warm.

"It answers what you felt when you touched my leg sometime ago. It's okay, and now you know. I'm mobile and independent, and that's what's important to me."

"Don't you have to go to work?" I try to change the topic.

"I called in sick which I rarely do so there were no questions. If I had shown my face like this I would've had to explain a lot and didn't feel like it."

"Understandable. Will you meet us at the café this afternoon for the brainstorm? Or would you like me to excuse you with them? I know Brian is hoping you'll be there."

"Oh, I didn't know he also invited you. I'll be there. I can use the distraction and it's always good to feel helpful. Brian sent me some financials and I did some quick projection calculations. I'll come over after my therapist appointment. She'll have a lot to write about with the Oliver situation."

"I'll see you there then. Get some rest too. I'll be upstairs working."

Greg looks considerably better as I head to my place, and after confessing about my jumbled thoughts for Lewis my head feels clearer on what to do next.