Yuri Vs Deanna

After a couple of minutes, we got to the mall. It wasn't all that crowded since it was Tuesday and most people were at work. Yuri and I started walking around. I attempted to hold her hand, but it seemed to make her feel nervous, so I just held her index and middle finger. To most, that shouldn't really make a difference, but if Yuri felt more comfortable with it then I didn't really mind it.

After walking around for a while, we saw the book store. It was bigger than I remembered it, but then again, I didn't come here very often. Even though Yuri was calm, I could tell she was happy to be here. She walked around the store for a bit while I just looked at some of the little figurines they had for sale.

I wasn't one to buy figurines. I just liked looking at them. And they were by the entrance of the store, so Yuri could easily find me if she got lost for some reason.

While I was looking, I suddenly felt someone tap me on the shoulder. I heart dropped as soon as I turned around.

"Deanna?"

"Hi Danny." She looked around the store. "I didn't know you liked to read."

I saw her friend Becca giving me a disapproving look from outside the store.

"Well uh, I don't. I'm just here with my girlfriend."

She looked away. "Oh I see."

Becca entered the store and approached us. "Can't you see she's sad?"

"What?"

"She misses you. You can't just leave her like this."

"Okay look, she ain't my responsibility. I hate to see her sad but I'm with someone already."

"And? She left her boyfriend so she could be with you!"

That was true. Deanna and I had been together twice. Once for two and another for fourteen. I had broken up with her thinking that she didn't like me and only dated me out of pity. I don't know... I lacked confidence and had a weird mindset at the time. After we broke up, she dated my friend, Randy. They dated for about two weeks before she broke up with him and admitted that she wanted me back. A couple of months later, we got back together.

But that was when she had feelings for me. When she broke up with me after we dated the second time, she told me that she missed Randy. I'm not really sure what happened after, all I know is that they never got together and that she thought they were best friends or something like that.

"Yeah I remember that. But I also remember that she left me to get back with him."

"Well you weren't that great of a boyfriend anyway."

"What?" I suddenly remembered what she was talking about. "Ohh I know what you mean."

"Yeah, even after you hit her, she still loves you."

"I didn't hit her! I never would have done that. And I honestly don't know why she's been telling people that."

A rumor had spread that I had hit Deanna. I believed that it had happened, since I would have never crossed my mind that she'd lie to me about something like that, but I could never remember it actually happening. I assumed I was just to angry to remember.

I don't ever recall being abusive, but I was pretty aggressive.

"Because she needed help! How could you hurt someone as sweet as her?"

I suddenly felt a gentle tap on my left arm. I turned around and saw Yuri hugging a book with her left arm. I also saw the other people in the store looking towards us.

I talked to Becca in a stern tone, but I made sure I calmed myself down before talking to Yuri. I didn't want to accidentally get mad with such a gentle girl.

"You got your book?"

She simply nodded.

"Alright, we'll be out of here in a bit. Just give me-"

"Hey, you're gonna apologize to Deanna first," Becca shouted.

"What for?"

"For everything you've done!"

"He doesn't need to apologize."

Yuri?

"Excuse me?"

Yuri grabbed my hand. "I can't imagine Danny doing anything to her. All he's been doing is trying his best to make me happy and I'm sure he did the same for her." She looked at me and gently smiled. "I doubt he would've done anything to hurt her. If anything..." she gave them a look of disappointment. "She's been hurting him. And I'm not gonna let her do it again."

I was stunned. She spoke in a calm, yet firm tone. I could see that Deanna got the message, but it seemed like Becca was ready to argue some more.

"You're wrong about him! He bruised her, and he didn't even care! He's a monster!"

Ah well, on some level that was true. Not the bruising! The thing about me being s monster. I've hurt quite a bit of people...

"He's not a monster. I'm sure whatever bruises you're talking weren't caused by him and even if they were, I'm sure he had proper reasoning."

"W-what?! Proper reasoning? You're full of crap! How could be alright with him hitting a girl? A girl!"

"It doesn't matter to me whether someone is a male or female. If she pushed Danny to hurting her, then that was her own doing."

"So you think it's okay for him to abuse her?"

"I wouldn't approve of anyone abusing anybody, but I do believe that everyone has their limit. If she somehow managed to reach Danny's limit, then I would think that they'd be better off apart, wouldn't you agree?"

"I, uh, well... whatever!" She grabbed Deanna's arm. "Let's go, Deanna."

Deanna left with a stunned look on her face. I was honestly pretty surprised myself. I knew Yuri cared enough to defend me, but she was so shy, I didn't think would muster up the strength to do it. Ah, but just like she said, everyone has their limit.

After Becca and Deanna left, I took Yuri to the front counter to purchase her book. She picked out "House of Leaves."

When we got in line, everyone moved out of our way and cheered us on as we got to the front counter. When we did get there, the woman at the front shook Yuri's hand and gave her the book for free. In fact, she gave her the amount the book was worth. As we were gonna leave, she stopped us and put a red carpet for us while we exited the store. Everyone cheered us on as we left.

Okay, that didn't happen. We bought the book and left. It seemed like no one really cared after the argument was over.