Last Day

"Danny, are you alright," she weakly asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry, I don't know if you've ever had those dreams where you're falling? And then you suddenly wake up cause you actually start to feel it?"

She gave me a weak smile. "Well, I haven't been here very long, Danny. I don't even think I've been dreaming recently, but I'm sure what you're describing is quite the experience."

She sat up on the bed and leaned herself against the wall. She looked like she'd rather be sleeping.

She sighed. "I don't know what's been up with me lately. I just feel like sleeping all the time." She put her hand on her head. "And I feel really weak, I don't think it's healthy."

"Ah well..."

Should I?

I paused for a while. Yuri turned to me and looked at me.

"Were you gonna day something?"

"What? Oh, no I don't think so."

"Oh. Sorry, I must be hearing things."

I moved closer to her. She responded by leaning her head on me.

"I hope it's not something severe," she said. "I'm sure I'll get better in a couple of days or so." She hugged me. "Especially with you here."

I just patted her arm. "Yup."

She looked at me with her tired eyes. "Is there something on your mind?"

"Uh..."

"You can talk to me about anything, Danny." She hugged me again. "I'll be here for you as long as I live."

"Yuri, uh..."

How am I supposed to tell her?

"Well, okay. I'm not really sure how to say this, but uh, you're like, uh..."

"I'm like...?"

"Uh well, you're going through something, okay? And well, I don't know if you noticed but, your skin and eyes are like, losing their color."

"What do you mean?"

"They're graying out." I stood up from the bed. "Let's look in the mirror real quick."

I helped her off of the bed and took her to the restroom. Once she got a glimpse of what she looked like, she put her hand on her cheek and her facial expression changed.

"I'm so... pale."

I sighed. "But it's not just some random occurrence." I took a deep breath. "Yuri, I saw this happen to Monika. She didn't just leave somewhere."

My mind hesitated, but I had to tell her.

"When she started to notice these changes, she started to feel tired all the time. And then she started to, how do I say this, glitch out. Her clothes fell off, revealing her school uniform underneath. She stopped being able to feel."

My words seemed to have a negative effect on Yuri. Of course, I was expecting that. How else would someone feel after hearing what I just told them?

"Is that what's happening to me?"

I sighed again. "I think so. I'm sorry Yuri. I was afraid to tell you because I wasn't really sure how you'd feel. I didn't want you to be living your last few days in fear."

She hugged me. "It's alright, Danny. I'm just glad we got to spend my last few days together. I love you."

"I love you too, Yuri. You should rest, who knows how much time is left?"

"I'll do that if you rest with me."

I giggled. "Of course."

We lied back on Keith's bed. She moved in closer and lied her head on me. After a couple of minutes, she was sound asleep. I tried to rest too, but my mind was feeling active.

I wasn't just gonna leave and do something, though. I needed to stay here with Yuri. I was sure this was her last day here, and I wanted to spend every minute of it with her.

After a couple of minutes, I managed to start falling asleep also. I slightly adjusted myself so that I could get comfortable without waking Yuri. With that, I slowly fell asleep.

I was later woken up by a loud cackling sound. I opened my eyes and saw the room was being lit by something. After looking around a bit, I noticed the computer was on. It had the distorted screen that I had become familiar with.

I looked at Yuri, who was still sleeping peacefully. She didn't seem to be woken up by the sound the computer emitted.

Upon further observation, I noticed that her clothes were different. I moved the covers off of her torso and saw what I had expected. Her school uniform. Her old clothes were probably somewhere on the bed, but I'd think about that later. Right now, I had to wake up Yuri so that she'd be prepared for what was gonna happen. I assumed that it'd probably be worse to wake up to it than to be awake and prepared for it.

I gently moved her shoulder. "Yuri?"

After moving her some more, she finally woke up.

"Yuri, you gotta get up. I think it's happening already."

She slowly sat up. While she did, I noticed her body glitch for about half a second. She didn't seem to notice it at all.

"How are you feeling," I asked.

She started moving her hand around the covers. She then grabbed my hand and started trying to feel around it for a bit. It looked like she wanted to freak out, but she was keeping herself calm.

"I can't feel anything."

"It's okay, I'll be here with you through everything that happens."

As I hugged her, she slowly hugged me back. I'm sure it must've been weird to suddenly lose feeling, as well as pretty scary. I just needed to do my best to try and keep her calm while everything happened.

But I couldn't keep everything in check. What would I do when she started feeling random pains? Or wait... was that gonna happen? Or was that just a Monika thing? I don't know, but I did my best to mentally prepare myself for everything.

Maybe I should've at least earned Yuri about that. I didn't necessarily tell her everything... but maybe that was a good thing. I'm not exactly sure how, but maybe, in some way, it was.

I decided to try and rest. There was nothing I could do at the moment besides wait.