You're Back

I woke up in the drivers seat of my car. I looked around and saw Monika in the passengers seat, smiling at me once again.

"Good morning."

"Monika? What are you doing?"

"I wanted to see you again." She looked down at her feet. "And I know you feel the same way."

"What? Monika... I'm with Yuri now."

"Then why are you here with me?"

"What are you talking about?"

She put her hand on mine. "We both know I'm not real. I disappeared a while ago, but you keep having dreams of me. I'm somewhere in the back of your mind."

There was no denying it. I knew part of me missed her.

I sighed. "You're right, Monika. I miss you, but it's wrong to abandon one person for someone else. You even told me not to wait for you... even though I did for a while."

"I know what I said, but I miss you. I really want you to be happy, but I cant stand the fact that we're not together anymore." She started to tear up. "Do you really love Yuri?"

"I-I think so. I don't know."

She wiped her eyes and did her best to smile. "Let's go for a drive."

"Uh, okay."

I drove down the street, which seemed to be infinite. The houses on the sides soon disappeared, being replaced by a white void. The only things that I could see were the road in front of me and Monika.

She pointed out her window. "Look over there."

I looked to where she was pointing and saw an image of me helping her onto Keith's bed. More photos started appearing until the void was completely filled with them. They were all memories of Monika and I.

When I first met her. When I woke up next to her for the first time. When she helped me get over the thoughts of my ex. When I took her and Maegan to the mall. When she met Odin for the first time. When I showed her Monika After Story.

When we first started dating... ah what a day.

There were so many memories. How could I try and forget Monika after going through all the things we did? It didn't make sense.

"We made so many memories," I said.

"Yup." She sighed. "It was a nice time."

"It really was. You know, I sometimes wonder what it'd be like to go back relive those memories."

"But you're with me now."

A sudden change in her voice, I immediately recognized it. I turned to Monika and saw that she was no longer there.

It was Yuri.

"Yuri? What are you doing here?"

"We've had our fair share of memories as well."

All the memories of Monika started to disappear. They were replaced with memories of Yuri and I.

When I first met her. When I woke up next to her for the first time. When I took her and Maegan to the mall. When she met my siblings. When she met my mother.

And when we first started dating... it was just as nice as when I first started dating Monika.

I had shared many memories with Yuri as well. Why chase after Monika when I shared all these wonderful memories with Yuri?

"And I'm still here, so we can create even more memories."

I started to feel overwhelmed. I suddenly felt myself in the back seat of my car. No one was driving, but the car continued to move. On the left of me was Monika and my memories of her. On the right of me was Yuri and my memories of her. They both held my corresponding hands.

"I love you," they both said. "And no matter what happens, I know that you'll stay with me. I know you won't let anyone come between us."

I felt like agreeing would be loving and betraying at the same time. I cared about them both, but it seemed like I was only supposed to choose one of them. What would I do? What could I do?

A wall suddenly appeared at the end of the road. There was a picture on it. It was a black photo with green and purple words. I couldn't recognize what they said, it was like my mind refused to. The car was approaching it fast, however. It looked like we were gonna hit head on.

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

I saw the picture right before we made contact with the wall, but it was only for a split second. Even then, it looked like it was blurred out, so there was no way I could read it. But I felt like my mind burned the image into my head. Even though I didn't know exactly what it was, it felt like I needed to keep it in my thoughts.