Supposed To Be Satisfied

(John Lauren's POV)

Eliza looks beautiful as she walks down the aisle. Her black hair is tied on the nape of her neck into a million tiny curls, pinned in with care. A thin white veil keeps her face hidden from the audience, but only barely. Anyone could see the helpless look on her face, the sparkle in her almost black eyes. Her smile is so excited as if she wishes she could run to Alexander, who stands next to me, grinning like a lovestruck fool- which is exactly what it is.

He's only known her for three weeks, but here they are, about to marry. I fake a happy smile. Yeah! My best friend is getting married to the richest, most eligible lady- a Schuyler sister- in New York. But I'm not happy. I'm supposed to be.

I listen as the priest drones on about whatever the heck vows are for. Have I ever paid attention? I probably never will. Especially now. You, see... Well, I'm not going to mention it. It would never have worked out, and it's not allowed, so why bother to talk about it. 

The preacher says something that sounds important. that wakes me from my thoughts. A second later, Alexander turns to me. "You have the rings?" he whispers with the cutest smile.

"Yup," I say, handing him two rings, tiny silver fickle things.

I resist my urge to cringe as they are wed. Why can this work out? This isn't going to work out, right? 

"I do," Alexander says, his brown eyes thick with joy.

A second later, Eliza agrees. "I do!" You can hear the exclamation mark. 

And my world shakes just a little bit as the pastor announces to the world, that for the first time ever, he introduces Mister and Misses Alexander Hamilton.