Peggy Say What?

(Angelica POV)

"ANGELICA!" Father bellows from the bottom floor. I quickly tuck my book underneath my pillow and raise downstairs, letters flying from the room where I had laid them on the floor. I had plenty of letters, from all sorts of people, some men, some women.

My pink dress danced along the stairs as I, at last, arrived to the ground floor of my huge brick home. My father, a tall bald man, stood in the kitchen, wearing a blue coat.

"Hello, father, what's the matter?" I asked, trying to sound soft, something I could never quite nail.

My father pulled a letter from his coat, and slipped his glasses on. "It's an opportunity for courtship."

Laurens? I dared to wonder.

"It's very good as well. A young rich man of good family, very funny and very intrigued with the eldest Schuyler sister, oft seen shouting in the square." Father smiled. He pretended to hate my ambitions, but he loved them.

It could still be Laurens.

"And I very much hope you're interested. I believe it would be a good match," Father winked. Oh my gosh, I would have to thank Peggy for getting this setup, my father was really approving of this!

"Oh yes, that sounds lovely," I said.

"Why, your eyes are twinkling and you barely know the name," my father said, smiling to the point he had dimples.

"I think I know who it is," I say. I can just see the freckled grinning face of Laurens, his green eyes shining right back.

"I would hope so." Father nods grandly.

"Mr John Church." 

My heart drops, but I put on a smile. I do remember the man. He has always seemed attractive enough, and he greeted me warmly in the square, always dripping with honesty and the silliest wit. 

"I know him," I say, nodding.

"Who were you expecting?" Father asks, worried he's messed something up. My father is busy, a general and extremely politcal. He runs his household as best he can, but he oft forgets we are still teens.

"Oh... no, John is perfect, Father," I say, and hug my Father. 

Yes, I do wish it was the other John, but... I'll get over it. I am the queen of the seas of men's hearts, I can have any fish I want. This fish, this John, will be fine.

A//N: You get one more chapter after this and then I have to take a break for three weeks. HAPPY SUMMER!